Coil insulating rear brake cable...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have been busy putting my CB back together, if you can call it that now, after a powder coat and I had real problems getting the rear brake cable through the lugs. I notice that the cable has a coil all the way along inside the housing tube which is making it a right hassle to get it through the lugs.

So, is this coil something to do with keeping the tension good for the rear brakes given it has further to travel, or should I just take it out hence making it easier to pass through the lugs?

If I can't take it out, can anyone suggest anything else? I'm rather reluctant to start chipping away at the lugs????

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I don't quite understand your query, but do you mean you are having problems getting the outer cable into the frame lugs? If so, then that may be due to the thickness of the powder coat. Just ease it out with a rat-tail file,

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
The outer cable consists of a coil of square section wire covered in a plastic sheath. The coil provides a firm resistance against which the inner cable pulls whilst still remaining flexible to get around bends. I suspect that the powder coat, which can be relatively thick, has built up inside the frame abutements. Just file out the excess powder coating carefully until the outer cable fits.

Top Bottom