Col du Tourmalet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Anyone done it?
How does it compare to Alpe d'Huez, Galibier or Ventoux?
Did you do the Aspin before?

I'm off to do some of the Pyrenees next week.

ASC1951

Guru
It was a long time ago, when I still had all my own hair - but a much worse bike. I've done it from both sides and with and without the Aspin.

It's difficult to compare because it depends so much on what else you have done that day or that week, how hot it is etc. Taking them as individual climbs, I would rank them:
- Galibier from Lauteret side (easiest)
- Alp d'Huez
- Tourmalet from either side
- Ventoux from Sault
- Galibier from other side
- Ventoux from Bedoin or Malaucene
- Aspin then Tourmalet (coz it's two climbs)

TBH this is very subjective. I remember the red mist on the bottom section of one ascent of Alp d'Huez, ditto Bedoin, but in both cases because I'd already done 80 miles and a shedload of climbing. I even recall the Aspin being worse than the Tourmalet, but it was a blistering hot morning then clouded over.

Nothing steep on the Tourmalet, anyway. It's very much a 'head down and keep turning the pedals' hill.

You could look at this http://cycloclimbing.com/ and there's also an Ordre des Cols Durs website with a huge amount of info on it, which I can't lay my hands on at the moment.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Yes, thanks. It is difficult to compare for all the reasons you say. I have looked at this site.
They rank it like this

1.Aspin 81
2.A de H 125
3.Galibier (from Valloire) 122
4.Tourmalet 135
5.Ventoux 164
6.Galibier (from St Michel du Maurienne) 184

I've done 2,5 and 6.
I suspect from that and what you're saying that the Tourmalet including Aspin will be much like doing Galibier including the Col du Telegraph from St Michel.

The thing I'm worried about is that I will have to do the Aspin from the other side after doing the Col du T to get back to where I'm staying. Any thoughts?

Crankarm

Guru
Nice one rich p. 'am envious. The Pyrenees :laugh:. Where are you staying and how are you getting down there?

The Tourmalet is not steep steep like AdH but more a long hard churn. Haven't climbed either the Galibier or Ventoux which I would like to do sooner than later. For the Tourmalet have only climbing the from the west, Luz St Sauveur and descended eastwards to Col d'Aspin. I had already climbed the Aubisque and Soulor when I climbed it and I was on my Brompton L6 so my experience probably not that helpful to you if you're on your full tourer. I was a bit tired as a result of the two previous climbs, but did it with a only a couple of stops to take in the views. I'm sure you will fill up with water before the climb, both you and your bottles, as if there is no cloud cover on the upper slopes the heat can be relentless. Load on the sunscreen as well. In case the summit is shrouded in cloud and mist I would have a base layer and windproof jacket to hand. Just take it steady and you'll be fine. Have a great ride and be sure to tell us how great it was on your return helped with a pic or two :evil:.

This site admittedly a yankee one might be of help. It's from Luz St Sauveur too, maybe the reverse direction is on the site. A few posts by cyclists to say how they got on.

http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?Col=Col-du-Tourmalet&qryMountainID=26

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cheers, Crankarm. I must tremember to refuel as I got a bit desperate near the top of the Galibier. I may try the energy gels but the only time I tried them was before the London marathon and I vomitedxx(
I'll be on the full carbon lean machine! I'm not touring but just doing 3.5 day rides but I'm keen to get the Tourmalet and Aspin on my 'palmares':biggrin:

I'm staying at this place www.pleinairpyrenees.com. I'll post some pics and a review of the climbs and accommodation when I get back.

dragon72

Guru
Last summer, I did the the Tourmalet in a day ride from Bagnères-de-Bigorre via La Mongie to Argelès-Gazost on my chunky Bores Horizon with a full camping load including a whopping great big three-man tent (I like my space!).

I had plenty of shouts of "Chapeau!" from the lycra posse as they passed me, particularly between La Mongie and the top, as they swerved to avoid the sweat trail dotting the road as it dripped off my nose.

Ditto above: It's a long old slog - especially when laden - but not as tough as the Galib from the Lautaret in my experience.

But then again, nothing seems as tough after you've done your first "monster".

The day after the Tourmalet, I did Soulor and Aubisque and they seemed fairly tame having bagged the CduT the day before.

All of them were stunning in term of scenery, though!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I found it hard - harder than the Veleta (scoring 206 on rich_p's site), but then I'd done the Marie Blanque and the Aubisque/Soulor first. What I mainly remember is looking at the sign boards with the height and gradient for the next kilometer, and thinking of the deficit I was building up (the steep bit is at the top on that side).
The Aspin has struck me as being fairly easy, both the following morning, and from the other side after the Portillon & Peyresourde (up & back, staying in Arreau).

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The veleta's toughness quotient is based on it's length I guess, at 43k!
I'm sure, judging by you lot's experience, that doing the 3 climbs in a day will be okay at the right pace. I may do a shorter one the following day, involving a longer more liquid lunch!

rich p said:
Anyone done it?
How does it compare to Alpe d'Huez, Galibier or Ventoux?
Did you do the Aspin before?

I'm off to do some of the Pyrenees next week.

rich p

I did Aspin, Tourmalet, Aubisque, Soulor and up to Garvenie in a day in 2006.

OK, not ALL my own effort but still a memory that will last me for ever.

DSCF0317064Medium.jpg

DSCF0329076Medium.jpg

Cannot really compare with l'Alpe d'Huez that I climbed on a 1200cc Triumph Trophy.

Ventoux in 2008 was a cold day and the observatory was shrouded in cloud at mid-day when we got up there.

DSCF1087.jpg

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cheers JP:biggrin:
A memorable day for you. I love that pic with the donkeys in the road - is that Gavarnie?

ASC1951

Guru
Very smelly place, Gavarnie; also very popular in a jolly Pyrenean way i.e. not full of snotty rude staff and visitors like in much of the Alps.

There's a nice walk following the donkeys right up to the foot of the Cirque, which is a very impressive sight. You can even - if suitably shod and clothed - walk up to the Refuge above the valley and on to the Breche de Roland, which is even more impressive. http://www.brechederoland.com/ There is a thin snowfield below the Breche, but most summers you can get up and down to it perfectly well without any Alpine kit.

And if you really want the full Gavarnie Experience, there is an amazing route right up the centre of the Cirque at only V Diff. Unfortunately it's very easy to go off-route, in which case you find it's VS and it takes forever, it's nearly dark when you get up it, you have to come down the path by torchlight and when you get back to your tent your so-called mates have eaten all the food and gone to the pub. Here it is in the winter http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=831

Top Bottom