Cola shortage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm partial to diet cola but have had problems buying it recently.

Given that I like it with about a third water, my preference is for cheaper, supermarket own brands.

There's been none available during my last few visits to Aldi, Lidl, and Spar.

Sainsbury's had a few bottles of their X-Zero, but no own label diet.

There was the CO2 shortage a couple of months ago, which may still be feeding through the supply chain.

Another theory is supermarkets are stuck with large stocks of sugar cola after the imposition of the sugar tax, so are keeping the diet cola back to clear the other stuff.

First question is am I right - is there a shortage of diet cola or have I just been unlucky when shopping for it?

If there is a shortage, what is the reason?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Have you
I'm partial to diet cola but have had problems buying it recently.

Given that I like it with about a third water, my preference is for cheaper, supermarket own brands.

There's been none available during my last few visits to Aldi, Lidl, and Spar.

Sainsbury's had a few bottles of their X-Zero, but no own label diet.

There was the CO2 shortage a couple of months ago, which may still be feeding through the supply chain.

Another theory is supermarkets are stuck with large stocks of sugar cola after the imposition of the sugar tax, so are keeping the diet cola back to clear the other stuff.

First question is am I right - is there a shortage of diet cola or have I just been unlucky when shopping for it?

If there is a shortage, what is the reason?
Have you tried Pepsi Max?
Sugar free and IMO tastes better than Diet Coke.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I rather liked the different flavours of the various own-label brands - when I could get them.

I will also drink the premium brands - including Pepsi Max - but have never seen the benefit of paying the extra.

Incidentally, I think Coke and Pepsi is dearer than it was a few months ago.

It's a double whammy, the cheap stuff is hard to obtain and the dearer stuff costs even more than it used to.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Quite possibly because of the CO2 shortage earlier, but also they may be taking the chance to put the price up when stocks are resumed.

classic33

Leg End Member
I rather liked the different flavours of the various own-label brands - when I could get them.

I will also drink the premium brands - including Pepsi Max - but have never seen the benefit of paying the extra.

Incidentally, I think Coke and Pepsi is dearer than it was a few months ago.

It's a double whammy, the cheap stuff is hard to obtain and the dearer stuff costs even more than it used to.
The Sugar Tax increased the price/brought in smaller bottles, then the C02 shortage hit.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've not noticed a shortage of the own brand colas in my Aldi in the last few weeks/months... but proper Coke (330 & 500ml) and energy drinks have been out of stock for a while. No idea why though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
They are as acidic which is as much what does for teeth
Ah, okay!

I just read a few articles on the subject and one suggestion to reduce the rot caused by cola drinking was to drink it through a straw, thus mostly bypassing the teeth.

My tipple is 1 part OJ to 3 parts sparkling spring water. That isn't supposed to be as bad, but still has a slightly corrosive effect. I'll start rinsing my mouth out afterwards!

Top Bottom