Cold and wind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garz

Squat Member
Boy do I hate these conditions. If its not just cold you cant really escape the wind on exposed hilltops or downhill, and as this makes up alot of my rides Im now thinking to just nip it in the bud.

I see some enthusiasts or cat whatever riders wearing like wet-suit type outfits which must be warm as they dont seem bothered by the elements (either that or im a wimp).

Anyone else get annoyed this time of year, as it's a shame even on nice clear/sunny days I cant help but get distracted by these conditions spoiling the ride? :angry:

OP
OP
Garz

Garz

Squat Member
Instead of adding layers if Im going to be spending on a jacket, then il have to do the same for the legs. Trouble is you get waterproof, windproof but I absolutely hate being boiled in the bag.

I can wear a thin waterproof in the rain, I think the priority is to get warm and comfortable so I can enjoy the ride.

OP
OP
Garz

Garz

Squat Member
I wear bib shorts, baselayer and a long sleeve jersey. Hat under the helmet, buff for neck, gloves and finally runner leggings over the shorts. Today it was 3.8C on the morning ride, colder than my fridge. On exposed and downhill sections really chilly.

I grew up in bedford for about 18yrs, the weather down south is very mild compared to the pennines lee! :angry:

OP
OP
Garz

Garz

Squat Member
I am a wee bit of a jessy HJ, perhaps not helping is losing a % of body fat over the year (approx 12lbs to a stone). I did suffer from the cold-numb hand syndrome last year so if I can get comfortable without looking like im wearing my wardrobe I would be happier! :biggrin:

RSV_Ecosse

I think it's a transitional thing at this time of year. Being used to getting up in the morning and riding to work on a clear, warm morning is great. Then all of a sudden things change and we find the seasons turn quite quickly, weather wise.

To be honest, I'm not keen on the conditions this time of year can sometimes bring as far as the rain and wind goes. That said, I really, really like cycling on a cold frosty morning. As long as you are sensibly kitted out, the cold should not matter and I absolutely love that crisp fresh air that a dark minus degree C morning can bring. :biggrin:

Garz said:
I wear bib shorts, baselayer and a long sleeve jersey. Hat under the helmet, buff for neck, gloves and finally runner leggings over the shorts. Today it was 3.8C on the morning ride, colder than my fridge. On exposed and downhill sections really chilly.

Seems to me you'd be better served with at least a windproof jersey or jacket. Its easy to underestimate windchill and the effect it has. I did have a chart here once produced by Gore to show air temp against speed to give real temperature - I can't recall exactly but at 4 deg x say 15mph, the chill was probably something like -6 deg c or worse. If you can keep your body core warm, the rest should be ok, apart from hands and feet which can get cold regardless. I went out this morning for a 32 mile ride - 3/4 bibs, long sleeve base layer with a short sleeve over the top and a Gore windproof jacket. Hat and gloves. Merino socks. My feet were cold - lots of vents in the shoes, but apart from that I was warm but not too warm, even with lots (2500 ft) of hill climbing. Don't let it spoil your riding - to be out on a really crisp morning and be warm is fantastic.

OP
OP
Garz

Garz

Squat Member
Thanks NH, sounds accurate enough, shall rethink my dressing on my next outing and if needs be invest!

a_n_t

2 words............ endura stealth.

3'c on saturday morning and all I had on up top was that and a baselayer, toasty!

7822_176670077072_587602072_3445946_4643675_n.jpg

OP
OP
Garz

Garz

Squat Member
Nice pic a n t (that a peaked cap under the helm btw?). Who's that stalking you, you would be better off using the endura's stealth feature? :laugh:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
With a name like Endura Stealth Jacket it sounds like something for ninja cycling, but having looked at the spec (and reviews) it looks like an excellent jacket. The only thing I would have trouble with is the price tag... :becool:

jimboalee

Airspeed15.00mph
24.14kmh
6.70m/s
45 max, 0 min
4temp
F39.2
Windchill index21.33558Deg F
Equivilent skin temp -5.92468Deg C
-5.92468Below Neutral skin temp
38.92Deg C
Amb t below Skin t29.00
Deg CWind chill energy coeff's
A12.36Constant
B6.13ConstantC-0.32Constant
H =1015.42J/m^2.s=1.02kJ/m^2.s=0.24kcal/m^2.sX section area ( Naked flesh )0.1m^2

Windchill1.45kcals/minWIND CHILL !!

New Horizon, is -5.92 close enough to -6 deg C ?

Reduced it to smouldering embers AGAIN :becool:

Top Bottom