Cold comfort ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
I guess this applies to riding any type of bicycle not just vintage/classic but l rode a steel bike today 26 km.
So what l hear you say. The problem was that overnight the temperature was minus 7c. and when l was riding it had risen to a heady minus 3c. My torso stayed reasonably warm but l can't say the same about my toes, ears and fingers, especially my toes. When l got off the bike or more accurately fell off l found that my thighs were pretty much sized up and bloody painful.
The point is does anyone have any suggestions regarding keeping feet warm etc. Oh yes and the air was so cold and dry that breathing was a chore and produced a lot of phlegm (sorry about that) .
Maybe l wait for Spring ?:smile:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
not cycling below five degrees....

could catch on....

U

User32269

2 pairs of socks (1 wool pair) and neoprene overshoes.
A good pair of windproof winter gloves with silk liners (silk liners available cheaply from decathlon, lots of stores in France).
A buff around your neck and pulled up over your nose, alternatively a balaclava.

This. With the exception of neoprene overshoes. Get yer self a pair of Samba, thick socks, and MTFU. HTH.:okay:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
You do not say what type of clothes you are wearing to begin with. That would be a good starting point.
Starting from the inside.....thermal base layer, and cycling leggings. Normal socks(useless) and trainers. also not much good.
Tee shirt, pullover and fairly thin fleece jacket, leather gloves and cycle cap (old style).
Thats about it apart from cycling glasses . Written down it looks fairly useless l will admit :sad:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Starting from the inside.....thermal base layer, and cycling leggings. Normal socks(useless) and trainers. also not much good.
Tee shirt, pullover and fairly thin fleece jacket, leather gloves and cycle cap (old style).
Thats about it apart from cycling glasses . Written down it looks fairly useless l will admit :sad:
Consider adding: long merino ski socks, overshoes or over socks, rainlegs, a second T shirt, a larger fleece jacket, a windshell jacket (probably larger than usual to fit over stuff), magic gloves instead of leather, sealskinz sport mittens, arm warmers, fleece buff, fleece beanie. Some of the waterproof bits are to keep the cold wind out rather than rain. Remove and stow layers promptly or pedal softer because you also should try to avoid sweating because even if it wicks to an outer layer, it's still going to make that layer nasty in the cold.

Top Bottom