Cold comfort ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I have asthma, so in the interest of staying alive, I avoid cycling when it's very cold. For me, anything below about 2 degrees, I stay indoors. I do find that several thin layers work better than a couple of thick ones when it's cold.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Consider adding: long merino ski socks, overshoes or over socks, rainlegs, a second T shirt, a larger fleece jacket, a windshell jacket (probably larger than usual to fit over stuff), magic gloves instead of leather, sealskinz sport mittens, arm warmers, fleece buff, fleece beanie. Some of the waterproof bits are to keep the cold wind out rather than rain. Remove and stow layers promptly or pedal softer because you also should try to avoid sweating because even if it wicks to an outer layer, it's still going to make that layer nasty in the cold.
Thanks for the detailed info.and yes sweating was also a problem i.e. sweaty back and chilly but dry front. I see that you are Norfolk and so was l until a few years ago so l should know about "lazy" wind l guess :cuppa:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have asthma, so in the interest of staying alive, I avoid cycling when it's very cold. For me, anything below about 2 degrees, I stay indoors. I do find that several thin layers work better than a couple of thick ones when it's cold.
Wise of you, that must be scary sometimes if you unintentionally over do it on the bike, you have my sympathy !

My solution is base and fleece layers with a windproof jacket. Gore thermal bib longs. Buff, skull cap, merino lined waterproof mid socks and serious winter gloves. The buff can go over your mouth/nose too - very good in a blizzard.
My feet still get cold, but then I wear the same shoes all year round, so overshoes may be an idea.
I've never chickened out of a ride due to temperature: I think -10 was my lowest. It's just that I love being out alone in the winter landscape, seeing what others never see. If there's snow that's even better, especially now I'm living in the Peaks.

I can empathise with that. Asthma becomes a big factor when it gets colder and really cuts my pace down. I get some comfort from having the buff over my mouth and nose, but sometimes think I'm just daft!

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
My solution is base and fleece layers with a windproof jacket. Gore thermal bib longs. Buff, skull cap, merino lined waterproof mid socks and serious winter gloves. The buff can go over your mouth/nose too - very good in a blizzard.
My feet still get cold, but then I wear the same shoes all year round, so overshoes may be an idea.
I've never chickened out of a ride due to temperature: I think -10 was my lowest. It's just that I love being out alone in the winter landscape, seeing what others never see. If there's snow that's even better, especially now I'm living in the Peaks.
Hard core....lm just a soft southerner:whistle:

I have one word for you - merino!
Baselayer, socks, hat, leg warmers, you name it!
And +1 for silk glove liners.
I'm also not keen on cycling when there's a potential of black ice, at 57 (and three quarters) I don't fancy hitting the ground hard, I did it about 20 years ago and you don't have a chance to fall better, one moment you're flying along, the next you're lying on the ground!
Last year I treated myself to a jersey with windproof front, and I can honestly say it's made a lot of difference to my ability to cope with lower temps, though as pointed out re the black ice above, I don't normally ride in less than about 3 degrees

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I have one word for you - merino!
Baselayer, socks, hat, leg warmers, you name it!
And +1 for silk glove liners.
I'm also not keen on cycling when there's a potential of black ice, at 57 (and three quarters) I don't fancy hitting the ground hard, I did it about 20 years ago and you don't have a chance to fall better, one moment you're flying along, the next you're lying on the ground!
Last year I treated myself to a jersey with windproof front, and I can honestly say it's made a lot of difference to my ability to cope with lower temps, though as pointed out re the black ice above, I don't normally ride in less than about 3 degrees
Wise words, l now wait until the afternoon when the sun has had a chance to warm things up a bit. Today was a good example, first thing in the morning it was 2deg. C but by mid afternoon it was 7deg and no wind, so had a decent ride. Like the idea of merino wool, will look into whats on offer .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Waterproof hi-vis clothing as worn by workmen is very effective at preventing cold icy wind from getting through to your skin. It also tends to be generously sized so you can still move about when worn over normal clothing. I reckon a lot of the problem people have with cold hands and feet (assuming no circulatory conditions) is down to not having enough layers on their arms and legs, thus allowing the blood supply to cool too much by the time it reaches the extremities.
When I work outside in freezing temperatures I wear safety work boots one size too big fitted with insoles, and I wear two pairs of socks- just cheap 5 pairs for £3 black sports socks, not fancy "cycling" socks. I'll always have a minimum of two clothing layers on my arms and legs, and if it's really cold I'll wear an old scarf round my neck with the ends tucked down the front of my fleece top to keep them out of the way.

12boy

Guru
Don't wear cotton next to your skin as the wicking qualities that cool you in summer will also in winter. Wool socks, hiking boots, merino or merino polyester blend long underwear under wind proof pants good to below freezing. Fleece sweats under wind pants good to a least 0 F. Long sleeved merino t shirts and Wool sweaters under windproof jacketsare good and a baklava or wool caps/ jacket hood. Wear something around your neck to avoid drafts going into your throat and upper chest. Even cheap gloves with a light wool liner glove are pretty warm. Try wearing a little less than comfortable so as you heat up from the ride the resulting sweat doesn't freeze you out later when you are tired and cold already. I use gloves too large to fit the woolen under gloves.

davidphilips

Veteran
Dont wait for Spring, just warmer weather, ice, bikes, roads and traffic are a dangerous combination, seen posted on CC by one member who looked at a car windscreen and if frosty then it was to cold for cycling perhaps good advice.

Top Bottom