Cold feet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

siadwell

Guru
I'll still wear them, besides I'll be cycling so fast with my new clips that no one will recognise me anyway :laugh:
The cheapest neoprene I found so far was for around £16 on a site called 'Rose', they also had the cheapest Assos cream but I've not come across this site before. Anyone heard of or used before?

Rose Bikes? That's a German business that's well thought of, but watch out for postage charges.

For cheap neoprene overshoes, I have the Louis Garneau ones from Evans (http://www.evanscycles.com/products/louis-garneau/neo-protect-overshoes-ec029815) - not worn them in anger yet but look good (£14.99 at the moment, plus there's a 10% off voucher code on site I think).

As MattHB said, Planet X currently have neoprene overshoes for a tenner plus, I think, £2.50 P&P.

siadwell

Guru
Would neoprene overshoes be compatible with toe clips? I've been having some discomfort on long rides due to the cold.

No personal experience but I'd have thought that with toe-clips (rather than clipless), you'll have to watch out that shoes + overshoes might be a tight fit, and you might find the overshoe uppers to wear out with the clips/straps rubbing against them.

siadwell

Guru
Again, no personal experience of this one, but a trick I've read with road overshoes is to cover the ventilation holes in the soles with strong sticky tape. Road shoes tend to be much better ventilated than MTB shoes - my road shoes were certainly draughty the other day, hence now trying overshoes.

Neoprene and roubaix overshoes - as others have said. I got mine heap cheap off fleabay and wear them all the time in the winter. You just have to come to terms with looking like a prat wearing them, but that's cycling for you :smile:.

im used to looking like a prat on the bike. id rather have warm feet. definatly will try them out, i was in agony on sat when i finished my ride

Again, no personal experience of this one, but a trick I've read with road overshoes is to cover the ventilation holes in the soles with strong sticky tape. Road shoes tend to be much better ventilated than MTB shoes - my road shoes were certainly draughty the other day, hence now trying overshoes.
I compared my Shimano MTB shoe with the road equivilant from same manufacturer and the only difference I could see was the sole plate and tread, the uppers and the mesh ventilation was exactly the same.

400bhp

Guru
No personal experience but I'd have thought that with toe-clips (rather than clipless), you'll have to watch out that shoes + overshoes might be a tight fit, and you might find the overshoe uppers to wear out with the clips/straps rubbing against them.

Yes, I should have expanded. The above is correct.

Just make sure your shoes are not to tight, restricting circulation this will also make your feet cold.

You pedal to fast to get cold feet

Camrider

Rose Bikes? That's a German business that's well thought of, but watch out for postage charges.

I think they charge £5 or £6 pounds to send to the UK which is not too bad unless you are buying something cheap. Rose Bikes, Bike 24 and Star Bikes are all based in Germany and are well worth checking out especially for German made components as they can be 40% cheaper than UK prices.

OP
OP
C

cyclebum

Thanks Siadwell, I was actually in Evans when I bought my new clipless shoes a few days ago and it sounds like they were the ones I wanted, sadly they didn't have my size, never thought of checking the web and they have already e-mailed me too!! Good to hear about Rose though, the site does state inc tax and shipping.
Wore the woolie boolies yesterday and although still cold they did make a noticeable difference, but also properly fitting shoes so I could wiggle my toes from time to time helped. I did 38 miles and it was just the last 8 that were the killer, it was also about 5pmish and about 2 deg by then!

jay clock

Massive member
I do a turbo session with my club in a village hall. Last night with all doors open (close to freezing outside) I was pouring with sweat and steam coming off but still had cold toes.

My solution for winter rides is:

a: new shoes for the winter one size too big (I got the identical model to previous winter SPDs but one bigger)
b: two pairs of socks.
c: overshoes (Endura neoprene for me )

You are NEVER going to have hot feet cycling from my expererience. Even at 38 degrees doing a 5 hr ride I do not recall hot feet being the problem!

Top Bottom