Cold radiators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yep , they were only fitted last year

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Doesn’t seem to want to shift ? All rads closed off on lock shields and temp set to max ! Should be moving air now ?

edit sometime later

well think I’ve worked out what’s happened. The bathroom fitter I got is an absolute clown. When he moved the radiator in the bathroom when we had it done up , it looks like he has not continued the circuit into the next bedrooms . Hence a short circuit!! :evil: . The towel radiator has been made the last radiator. It might be recoverable without too much grief I hope. However I’m f.....in ragin. Was recommended to us , this is not his first mistake on this job.
Anyway he is coming tomorrow to hopefully fix but he better bring ear defenders as my wife is ready to go through him.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's not air, it's hydrogen, which is the by-product of oxidation inside the steel radiators. Did you add inhibitor last fill up? This is just a soap, which makes the water alkaline to prevent corrosion.

You should be able to ignite the hydrogen as it hisses out of the bleed screw.

Gunk

Guru
Easiest solution is to check the simple stuff first, unscrew the TRV and make sure the pin underneath moves freely, you want it in the up position (needle pliers are ideal for this) if this is OK check the other side and undo the valve slightly to increase the flow.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just remember never to shut all the radiators off at once, you must have at least one open, systems should have one radiator without valves

D

Deleted member 26715

Question do you need to balance radiators in a pressurised heating system ?
You should

Hicky

Guru
Have a google and get some way of testing the in/out temp of the rads, aim for a 10-12deg drop across them.
We've had plumbing work done and the "plumber" was shite, back three times for work not done and none of the rads balanced, fortunately apart from my Ms none of us are nesh and we don't have the heating on very much at all as the house is both well insulated and the back of the house being south with many windows tends to provide most of the needed heat when Rochdale is sunny.:becool::laugh:

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Have a google and get some way of testing the in/out temp of the rads, aim for a 10-12deg drop across them.
We've had plumbing work done and the "plumber" was shite, back three times for work not done and none of the rads balanced, fortunately apart from my Ms none of us are nesh and we don't have the heating on very much at all as the house is both well insulated and the back of the house being south with many windows tends to provide most of the needed heat when Rochdale is sunny.:becool::laugh:
Radiator balancing not an issue with a pressurised system ? Also with TRVs fitted ? However if it still needs to be done I will give it a go.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Radiator balancing not an issue with a pressurised system ?
Never had to do it here with TRVs over 3 floors. Only thing to remember is I have always been advised to have at least one rad just fitted with lockshields set fully open so there is always a flow path and the boiler isn't pumping against a shut loop. Towel rad in the bathroom is a good choice so you always get dry towels even if the house is warm. :okay:

Hicky

Guru
Radiator balancing not an issue with a pressurised system ? Also with TRVs fitted ? However if it still needs to be done I will give it a go.
It depends how big your house is/how many rads. It doesn’t hurt to make it slightly more efficient, with a reasonable pump/boiler it doesn’t take much closure of the lockshields compared to a gravity fed in which it’s more important.

Top Bottom