Cold, then hot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roger06

Hi

I'm only really asking out of interest as I'm sure the answer is 'just man up'. But with the mornings getting chilly it's tempting to put extra layers on to keep warm but I know once I'm a mile or so down the road I'll be toasty and won't want to stop and take layers off.

I'm assuming most riders just accept it's going to be cold for the first ten minutes of a chilly morning ride? or is there some killer strategy I should know about?

cheers

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just accept it's going to be cold for the start.
I usually wear a windcheater which can easily be taken off and stuffed into my jersey pocket.

OP
OP
roger06

roger06

Yes I thought that would be the case. I have transitioned to cycling from motorcycling where the reverse is true in that you get colder as time goes on!

Whereabouts in the country do you live (Southern or Northern?). Because that will affect how much colder it is going to get and for how long.

I generally try to avoid wussing out with winter clothes until it starts to get quite cold. Otherwise when it gets properly cold your winter gear feels less effective. The first day that I turn up to work and my fingers take half an hour to warm up, that's usually when I start wearing full-fingered winter gloves and don't stop wearing them until the end of winter.

Generally try to still wear cycling shorts rather than leggings for as long as I can get away with. I know some people say cycling in the cold with uncovered knees is bad for them, but I'm not sure if there is much scientific evidence to substantiate that, most of the things I have read seem to be anecdotal.

Winter jackets as you've probably found out are good for a few miles but then you start to boil unless the weather really justifies it. Again I try to avoid wearing them unless it is going to be cold both ways. Windproof cycling tops are a good bet for most weathers though in helping keep the chill off for the first few miles.

Thicker and longer socks are good for most weathers though, at least my feet don't tend to sweat too much when I am cycling and cold toes can be unpleasant if you suffer from poor circulation/Raynaud's. Waterproof overshoes even when it is dry can be helpful for keeping some heat in your feet as well.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm afraid that I can offer no further advice than "manning up".

I guess coming from motorcycling, its a psychology thing. Starting from about now, I almost always step out of the back door and think "Whoa, a bit cold. I'll have to generate some heat quickly."

Even worse, as winter bites, the first mile involves either not going fast and generating only a little heat, or going fast, and getting even colder as the cold air rushes into you. From miles 3 onwards, it gets warmer.

My only other hints are: Radiator outlets from buses can be a temporary welcome relief. Stopping, e.g. at traffic lights can be good, as you are still generating heat but not loosing as much. And smile at other people, pretending that you are lovely and warm, as they look aghast at your minimal clothing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Arm/leg warmers, gilet, buff, something to cover ears

I've dodgy knees so need to keep those covered under around 15deg

Panniers are useful for stashing unneeded clothing once warmed up!

OP
OP
roger06

roger06

I'm right on the west sussex coast so don't get anywhere near as cold as the north, or even north of the South Downs. Some winters we barely get a frost...

Thanks for the advice. I know the only answer really is to try a few options and see what works. I have a colleague who cycles in trousers all year round but I do prefer shorts, even when chilly. At the moment I'm fine with jacket zipped right up for the first mile or so, then partially unzipped then completely open, that seems to regulate temperature OK but we're not even into single digit degree C yet.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
If I step out of the door and think its a bit nippy I know I'll be nice and snug about 3 miles in. If I step out the door and think its cold i'll put an extra layer on.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
but we're not even into single digit degree C yet.

Stop being a soft southern shandy swilling jessie then... shorts and summer jersey till it gets < 5. :smile:

Or buy arm/leg warmers and a gillet as suggested above - they help make the most of a tricky season.

wisdom

Guru
Shorts with legwarmers fo commute to work at 0630 then shorts for return journey.Lightweight coat in morning home in jersey works for me at the moment

Yeah, if you are about to exercise, you should feel a bit underdressed when you step out the door. Carry something warm in case you get a mechanical en route.

I used to swim laps, and I would know I was in trouble if the water felt comfortable when I stepped in, I knew I was going to be overheated swimming, so I never went to that pool again. I apply the same rule to cycling, though rarely wear speedos on the bike :smile:

byegad

Legendary Member
It depends how cold affects you. I seize up in the cold, across my shoulders and down my back can go completely rigid if I get cold for more than a handful of minutes. So I wear a windproof top and slowly zip it down as I warm up. If I get too hot after that, then rolling/pulling up my sleeves serves well in keeping me cool enough without stopping to remove a layer.

I had a U-shaped commute, cold downhill, then hot uphill.
I used sleeveless gillet on top, that was quick and easy to remove and stash in a bag.
In winter is used an fleece gillet on top of a windproof. You can get windproof gillets which function well in cool conditions.
Buffs and neck tubes are useful but you need to remove your helmet to remove them.

Top Bottom