Cold, then hot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Note speedos for @jefmcg is generic for swimwear...not just budgie smugglers!!

Make sure your arm warmers are long enough so you don't get that gap when on the bike where you get a brrr patch of exposed skin! (I think ladies cycling jerseys have shorter arms than men's so this may be less of an issue assuming Roger the OP is a bloke)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Seriously, a combination of a pp base layer like a Helly Hansen Lifa with a windproof but non-insulating long-sleeved jersey will see you through most weather. My favourite and most adaptable and flexible top is the dhb Windslam jersey from Wiggle, dense enough to block cold air but not thick enough to make you hot.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Its getting down to around 4 degrees when i go to work at before 6 am along with dense fog the last few mornings and coming home at 5.30 pm or so it still warm so going in i have had 2 short sleeve base layers, gilet , ss jersey , 2 pairs of arm-warmers, bib shorts , legwarmers , toe covers + full finger gloves with liners so i can bung a lot of it in the panniers .
Its either that or go boil in the bag windproof , which i might do tomorrow as im lumping a lot of stuff on the retrun trip.

D

Deleted member 1258

I commute in my work clothes, at the moment work trousers and a short sleeved polo shirt with a light summer long sleeved cycle jersey over the top. It means I'm a little chilly for the first mile or two till I warm up but once I warm up I'm comfortable, and I'm comfortable on the ride home when its warmer. As it gets colder I'll ad another layer, normally a sweat shirt, then swap the summer jersey for a winter one, when I start to get cold hands I'll start wearing gloves and when my head starts to get cold I'll add a hat.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I'm going to go against the grain here, but I prefer to be warm from setting off. Once I am cold I tend to stay cold, plus I head out into the countryside in a morning before getting to work and the temperature difference between town and countryside can vary quite a bit. Also I am lucky in that I have a shower when I get to work so I don't mind getting hot and sweaty, not that I ride hard enough to do that anyway :laugh:

Any extra kit worn in the morning not needed on the night I just sling in the rucksack

Top Bottom