Cold water taps....on the left or the right of the sink/bath ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
This came up on the radio earlier.
WoW..... so many people phoning in with their opinion.
Sounds obvious to me but I just checked 2 sinks AND they were fitted differently 🙂.
Right......
I have lit the fuse, what do you think?

Here in Oz it is hot on the left and cold on the right.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hot on left is usual, but who has individual taps? :okay: I think all my house is mixers, point the lever left for hot.

Alex321

Veteran
Mine are cold on right or mixer taps. The bath has a mixer tap, push the lever right for cold. Sink in en-suite bathroom has cold on the right, hot on the left, kitchen is a mixer, with a lever that is pushed back for hot, forward for cold. I hardly ever use the sink in the master bathroom, but I think that is cold on the right as well.

Previous house was mixed, but mostly the other way round.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Left hot, Right cold in our house ( apart from the one in the downstairs cloakroom, when after struggling to fit the flexible hoses and finding them the wrong way I swapped the coloured buttons on the taps )

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Hot on the right

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Cold on the right but in my son’s new kitchen there is only one tap which can also give boiling hot water on demand. Push a button and turn a knob and cold turns to scalding. No idea how it works.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
UK convention is cold on the right but lazy plumbers sometimes take the easiest route. I've plumbed many baths and basins and would never do it the wrong way around.

It is supposed to be done as hot on the left
this means that people are less likely to scald themselves by turning on the wrong tap as it should be consistent

SWMBO's son and has a downstairs loo where they are the wrong way round - fitted by his father-in-law - who is a professional bathroom fitter!!!

a.twiddler

Veteran
Visitors from abroad tend to be horrified that here in the UK we generally have separate bath and basin taps. They struggle with the idea of juggling with two taps to get the water temperature right and though mixer taps are much more common now, if you use a public toilet or motorway service you generally find separate taps. The hot one is conventionally on the left, the cold on the right. Mixer taps are like that too, and monobloc mixers have the lever moving to the left for hot, and right for cold.

If you really want to cause consternation, try showing an American visitor a bidet (with or without mixer taps!)

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Kitchen and bathroom sink both have hot on the left and cold on the right

The bath, however, is the other way around, probably due to the afore mentioned lazy plumber

I need to change the bath soon anyway and will swap it around. No excuse these days with flexihoses etc.

gbb

Legendary Member
Made this mistake in the bathroom. When I refurbished it, I wanted the taps at the other end wall so I rotated the new bath and taps 180 degrees, reconnected, never really thought about it.
A few years later the hot was dripping, needed a new cartridge. No problem, ordered it, took the old one out....eh, its a blue insert, cold. I'd forgot to switch the feed pipes.
Tbf, my kitchen sink is the same. No idea when or how it happened, but it's all OK, just different.

Occasionally, a visitor will say...your taps are the wrong way round ?

Top Bottom