Cold water taps....on the left or the right of the sink/bath ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
If you really want to cause consternation, try showing an American visitor a bidet (with or without mixer taps!)

I was under the impression bidets were more common in America than they are here.

I remember the scene in Crocodile Dundee (when he went to New York), but I have only ever seen one in the UK in a very occasional hotel room.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I was under the impression bidets were more common in America than they are here.

I remember the scene in Crocodile Dundee (when he went to New York), but I have only ever seen one in the UK in a very occasional hotel room.

Some years ago, one of Mrs V's friends thought they were for washing socks, when she came across one in her hotel room in Spain.

We still rib her about it :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Alex321

Veteran
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/apr/14/us-bidet-toilet-paper-sales-coronavirus

later comers to bidet revolution apparently. Croc dundee probably says more about dirty hairy arsed aussies than US sanitary wear. :okay:

True.

And of course that was also in a hotel, not a private home.

Sharky

Guru
Our old bath taps were fitted the wrong way round. When we had a thermostatic mixer tap fitted, the plumber kept the supply pipes in lone and fitted them the wrong way as well.

So when you wanted hotter water, you turned the thermostat to the hot side, but that just increased the cold supply!

He came back straight away very apologetic.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
All mine are the correct way around (hot left, cold right). I don't have any mixers, in fact I do not like them at all. I heard, or read somewhere, that it's cold on the right because most people are right handed and tend to go to the right hand one naturally, hence safer than potentially turning on the hot one.

Why not mixers? Well, every house I've ever lived in takes at least 10 sesonds for the hot water to start coming through. Older style showers are even more annoying. One has to guess at the heat level and continue to re-adjust as the hot water slowly comes in. You know where you are with separate taps

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've done all the plumbing in our house so the taps are all plumbed on the "Lazy Principle".......the hot side and the cold side are just what's easiest at each outlet.

Our house used to be the opposite way on the two floors.

whilst on the subject though…

mixer taps! If there’s just red and blue dots. Should I position the dot for the temperature I want next to the spout, or should I turn the lever towards the temperature I want, i.e. opposite way? Am I overthinking this?

roley poley

Über Member
All mine in the house are hot right/cold left ...To me it don't matter..get the signage right and i can live happily :smile:

Top Bottom