Cold Weather..what do you wear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisW

I'm a real woos...i hate the cold...

In the winter i when its really cold i wear the following:

Helmet..of course!
Black balaclava..
Thermal vest..
Gore wind jacket..
Sweat shirt...
Heated gloves.
Padded leggings
Thick socks
and big Shimano boots..

I think i look particularly attractive, others seem to laugh at my michelin man impersonation.

Anyone else prepared to look sad for the sake of comfort?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
when its cold up here I usually stick on a short sleeved top rather than the vest top i use for summer ;) Its not cold its your imagination ;)

skwerl

heated gloves?
dude - you live in Wimbledon, as do I. It never gets cold enough in London to need any more that 3/4 bib shorts (mainly to protect knees) and a lightweight jacket over a merino top. Sometimes a hat/headband is required to keep ears from freezing.
you are a wuss ;)

domtyler

Über Member
I read your post and felt sympathetic as I thought you must be in the outer Hebrides... Wimbledon?? You are truly pathetic. ;) Do you wear women's underwear? Do you have lovely long bubble baths with incense sticks? Do you have a whole cupboard full of cosmetic products?

Heated gloves! Pah.

Tetedelacourse

In extreme cold spells, I wear a headband, knitted tanktop and wooly chaps, like the ones seen in Dragnet.

But this post is about 4 months early - you truly are a wimp Chris!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Full gloves, bib tights, baselayer, long-sleeved jersey, Gilet or windproof (might remove when warmed up), wooly hat, possibly windproof overshoes. Never needed more than that. When not quite so cold just summer kit with added leg/arm warmers, with or without gilet or baselayer as appropriate.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
(runs to get this in before magnatom does)

Ya big jessie !! ;)

Long-sleeved top, dHb bib tights and long fingered gloves. Buff beneath my helmet. If it's really cold and also raining, I'll put on my Lidl cycling jacket.

That's all you need, even up here in Scotland !

fisha

Guru
it was so cold this morning that i wore a second t-shirt underneath the short sleeved lumi/reflective polo-top i normally wear and normal cycling baggy shorts.

yes . . really . . .that is all.

then if its raining on the way home, i'll put a waterroof(ish) jacket on.

amir

Über Member
I don't normally feel the cold much - but today it seemed really parky. Wore a light t-shirt plus waterproof, shorts and leg warmers. and winter gloves. Was pretty warm after 15 miles.

OP
OP
ChrisW

ChrisW

domtyler said:
I read your post and felt sympathetic as I thought you must be in the outer Hebrides... Wimbledon?? You are truly pathetic. ;) Do you wear women's underwear? Do you have lovely long bubble baths with incense sticks? Do you have a whole cupboard full of cosmetic products?

Heated gloves! Pah.

Errrr...

1) Yep..

2) Yep...

3) No i borrow my wife's..

Tetedelacourse

fisha said:
it was so cold this morning that i wore a second t-shirt underneath the short sleeved lumi/reflective polo-top i normally wear and normal cycling baggy shorts.

yes . . really . . .that is all.

then if its raining on the way home, i'll put a waterroof(ish) jacket on.

Chris, Fisha is at the other end of the cycle-clothing spectrum. He is certifiably insane. 99.8% of the UK's cyclists will wear something in between what you pair go out in.;)

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Full finger gloves tomorrow.

Listened to the telly this morning before heading out. Until the last couple of weeks I’ve been a fair weather commuter and in the last couple of weeks the worst weather I’ve experienced has been a short shower.

Anyway, today I heard “Coldest night this year”. Lucky I heard that. So I decided against the wind/rainproof gilet and dragged out the Ronhill, fluorescent, joggers, rainproof jacket.

Damned fine decision. Not warm arms, but not cold either, just right. Problem was I didn’t change the gloves. 10mins in I’ve realised fingerless isn’t a good idea year round. Braking and changing gear isn’t as easy when you can’t feel your extremeties. Good thing is, noticing my feet and legs felt OK in the lower temps. Therefore, I can put off wearing the bib tights for a while.

GrahamG

Guru
We're all different - sometimes I wished that I felt the cold a little more as I can't go more than a mile or two in spring & summer without getting a sweat on! In winter it has to be pretty much at freezing for me to wear any more than 3/4 shorts and a fleece top over my t-shirt. That said I don't use panniers so the rucksack or courier bag help keep the warmth.

Top Bottom