Colds - Ride or Rest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Misty

It's that time of year again, when you only have to travel on the train or spend a day in the office and someone has sneezed in your general direction & given you a cold.

What's the general feeling out there - if you're bunged up and snotty, do you ride, or rest?

I ride (but take it easy) on the basis that the endorphins make me feel better, therefore I will be better, quicker. However, it's very rare I get a cold. I think 2 in the last 10 years.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Quite a lot of evidence suggests that exercise helps shake off a minor sniffle. Just take it easy as others said

HobbesChoice

I've heard from a very reliable source that if your ailments are chest and above you can carry on any exercise, just take things a little easier. Anything below the chest like a stomach upset etc then stay off exercise and rest until you're better.

BSRU

A Human Being
I've heard from a very reliable source that if your ailments are chest and above you can carry on any exercise, just take things a little easier. Anything below the chest like a stomach upset etc then stay off exercise and rest until you're better.

From my current experience I cannot believe this is true, I had a mild chest cold last week that was not that bad and going away, another couple of days in the car I would have been completely better. But in my haste/desperation to get back on to the bike as soon as I could, especially being able to ride in icy conditions first time, it turned out to be a bad decision on my part :cursing:. After two days on the bike it turned into something alot nastier :sad: resulting in more time off the bike, I could have ridden into today as I feel basically fine but not 100% but decide to wait at least two more days to be certain until ditching the boring but warm car.

Garz

Squat Member
I'm just in the middle of a stinking cold which hit me after a morning turbo session (on Monday) so I'm gonna give it a rest till I feel normal again. The hot/cold flushes, sweats and aching joints are a sign busting my ass on the saddle isn't wise!

lukesdad

I'm just in the middle of a stinking cold which hit me after a morning turbo session (on Monday) so I'm gonna give it a rest till I feel normal again. The hot/cold flushes, sweats and aching joints are a sign busting my ass on the saddle isn't wise!

A very wise decision IMO. Im not sure where this riding when you have a cold comes from. a trip to the shops or a gentle poodle may be, but it would be far more benefical staying off the bike and getting back at 100% sooner.

Styopa

This isn't a yes or no. Prevention is better than cure - being physically fit, good nutrition etc will help prevent colds - plus avoiding those sneezing etc and hand washing good hygiene. Before a longish ride (>3 hours) I usually take 500 mg of vitamin C - previously I found I started sneezing after long/intensive cycles and frequently got colds - the excessive exercise impairs your immune response for sa short period. If you have a cold avoid excessive exercise training but some gentle exercise is probably beneficial. If you have flu - rest is probably what's needed.

Garz

Squat Member
previously I found I started sneezing after long/intensive cycles and frequently got colds

Eh?

Some confusing messages here Styopa. You say prevention is better than cure, and being fit means you get less colds. This is not true to be fair.

You can get a cold even being in the best shape of your life, you can't pick or choose. Another example is my wife does very little exercise yet rarely gets colds, she just has a strong immune system which I guess is a genetic thing.

Sporty people tend to catch colds more frequently because they are pushing their bodies to the limits leaving the immune system more vulnerable, yes that is pretty obvious and simple to digest. The place you work could be a factor (school) or going on a plane journey, basically anywhere where your exposed to mass numbers who are sharing their germs/viruses. If you want extra help in prevention then simply go take a vaccine.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This isn't a yes or no. Prevention is better than cure - being physically fit, good nutrition etc will help prevent colds - plus avoiding those sneezing etc and hand washing good hygiene. Before a longish ride (>3 hours) I usually take 500 mg of vitamin C - previously I found I started sneezing after long/intensive cycles and frequently got colds - the excessive exercise impairs your immune response for sa short period. If you have a cold avoid excessive exercise training but some gentle exercise is probably beneficial. If you have flu - rest is probably what's needed.

If you have 'flu you will be in bed shivering then sweating fit to bust and will certainly not feel like exercising.

We have a regime of washing hands as soon as we enter our house and we get very few colds. When you are out in pubic you pick up viruses from door handles etc, which you will transfer to surfaces in your home. You then rub your eyes or pick your nose and the viruses are in and multiplying in the damp warm environment of your mucous membranes. If someone sneezes over you the best advice is to breathe through your mouth because saliva is geared up to dealing with foreign viruses and bacteria.

The worst cold I've had in years was kindly given to me by an optician fitting me for contact lenses; he didn't wash his hands, just swished them under the tap then stuck them in my eyes. Bingo.

Fitness probably does help; they say you get around ten colds a year but don't notice most of them because your immune system deals with the virus. Losing the habit of rubbing eyes and picking noses is the best way to avoid colds though.

Sporty people tend to catch colds more frequently because they are pushing their bodies to the limits leaving the immune system more vulnerable, yes that is pretty obvious and simple to digest.
I must be doing something wrong then...over the years I've come to one obvious conclusion (for my body - before anyone jumps down my throat!!) If I'm going to the gym/cycling regularly everything but the strongest of germs just seems to "bounce" off me. If I'm not exercising regularly I get every sniffle/bug going!!!

Top Bottom