Colds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Day 2 of antihistamine (cetirizine hydrochloride) and the symptoms are better but not 100% gone.
I took one yesterday around 14:00 and by 16:00 symptoms had eased dramatically.
So this looks like an allergy but to what:wacko:
Is it possible to develop an allergy to something that's always been there?

Yes you can develop allergies later in life/to things that have always been there.

The main three second gen antihistamines that are available over the counter take about an hour to work. They last for different amounts of time and some work better for some things e.g. skin allergies in patients than others, but it's trial and error.

People take cetirizine for long periods of time. It isn't like taking other so called antihistamines like diphenhydramine where it's a very bad idea to take for an extended length of time.

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm allergic to all sorts of things, as time goes by other, previously ok items suddenly set me off. The last 'new allergy' was chocolate*.
So I take desloratadine in the morning and cetirizine at night. When things are bad I take another desloratadine in the afternoon. I've been on this regime or years with no apparent ill effect.
*Turns out it's not the chocolate per see, but the insect droppings the beans pick up when they're dried in the sun. Apparently all chocolate has some droppings in it.

OP
OP
Sniper68

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
IBS in my late 30s.
High BP in my late 40s.
Now this in my 50s.......
What next I wonder.....?
Pills,pills,pills:laugh:

I'm allergic to Hay-on-Wye. Stayed there twice and had an allergic reaction to something. Assuming whatever you are getting a reaction to you must have been in contact with shortly before hand?? Sooo nothing!
Either way never had a allergic reaction before or after, only when in Hay on wye.

PS the Welsh part.

classic33

Leg End Member
Day 2 of antihistamine (cetirizine hydrochloride) and the symptoms are better but not 100% gone.
I took one yesterday around 14:00 and by 16:00 symptoms had eased dramatically.
So this looks like an allergy but to what:wacko:
Is it possible to develop an allergy to something that's always been there?
Is it permanent?
Do I stop taking the tablets once the symptoms disappear?
No.
If it's a prescribed course of treatment, finish it.

Is there anything there now, possibly in greater amounts than there was before.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I'm allergic to Hay-on-Wye. Stayed there twice and had an allergic reaction to something. Assuming whatever you are getting a reaction to you must have been in contact with shortly before hand?? Sooo nothing!
Either way never had a allergic reaction before or after, only when in Hay on wye.

PS the Welsh part.
You probably have Hay fever..... :whistle::laugh:

You probably have Hay fever..... :whistle::laugh:
Dire
!

OP
OP
Sniper68

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
Update on things.
I took the AH tablets for a few days then stopped.This resulted in the symptoms starting again.Started taking them again.Ran out of tablets yesterday.The symptoms started again this morning and by 12 o'clock were getting worse so I've been out and bought some more.This has to be an allergy.
I'm going to try to speak to my GP but they're very busy(obviously) and getting through on the phone is impossible it seems.

Top Bottom