Cole Wheels anyone got them /had them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Got some Bomb proof winter wheels on now but looking ahead I will want some better ones next spring to replace some Evo wheels that depite being cheap to buy have given great service.

I want cartridge bearings to reduce maintenance and see reliability as more important than ultra lightness.

I have considered Mavic Askiums but in the same price range the Coles seem to offer an alternative.

lukesdad

Thought the carbon mines had been closed round your way Banj', where're they getting the coal from? I hope its not imported stuff ! ^_^

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
reminds me of the story about kid in your club who jammed a bit of coal in his derailleur to finish a ride.Wouldnt work with oil or gas .^_^

John Bertram

Hi, I've got a set of Cole AC58 Lites. Look the business, lightweight (ish) and really do help spin at 20+ mph.

But... I had to have a rear wheel rebuild not long ago - which took 6 weeks - and have just today broken a rear spoke again. On a flat, smooth, straight road. Twang and that was that. I'll be taking them back again to see what Evans Cycles say! Oh well. Buyer beware, I suppose. I think the rims are nice and strong, just the spokes or the wheel building methods are the weak thing.

Anyway, my backup wheels are Fulcrum Quattros. Had them ages and the only problem I've had is a bearing replacement in the free-hub, which was probably caused by an over-zealous usage of degreaser... But the good thing about having to repair it was it showed me how simple it was to dismantle, service and rebuild the hubs, etc.

So I would recommend Fulcrum Quattros at about £250. They are a little aero and so far have been pretty indestructible.

Top Bottom