Colesterol and statins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Evening,
I saw a cardiologist rcently due to very low resting heart rate -34-at night followed by irregular HR that promnpted me to wake. Chest was pounding! Back story is at 59y i am relatively fit, at most 3-5 kilos heavier than i could be but I am alone in my family for not having heart problems. Sister has hole in the heart and arythmia leading hospitalistaion several times a jear. Mum has angine, as does my younger brother. My father had heart problems too but the real problem is my mum's Irish side of the family and their love of all things tasty, guinness, chips etc and very couch like lifestyles.
Anyway, echocardiogram was favourable, albeit a few odd heart beats, and a 24h monitoring of heart showed a range of 34 through to 166. I can hit 184...(not so )humble bragging. But the bloods gave me a cholseterol reading of 7.2 :eek: We discussed diet but mine is pretty good, only a little meat, rarely any processed foods, lots of fish, homemade brownbread and he said it was clear the high reading was down to genetics and he wanted me on statins pretty sharpish. I am reluctant but knowing my diet it looks like statins are the only answer to addressing the high reading and bringing it down. I see some here have been put on statins and would be grateful for some feedback especiallyif anyone here found themselves in a similar situation and changed diet, however radical, to bring a high colesterol reading down.

Cheers
Bob

OldShep

Über Member
Mrs Shep had a test in the spring 7.1. Advised to look at her diet. All we could find to cut out were a few pork pies and high fat sausage.
Tested again 3 mths later 6.9 Doctor says not to worry and certainly no statins as her good cholesterol is high.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Cannot remember the figure but my cholesterol is just ok, verging on high. I am on a minimal dose of simvastatin and have been for a few years and suggested stopping but was told better just to leave well alone.

presta

Guru
We discussed diet but mine is pretty good, only a little meat, rarely any processed foods, lots of fish, homemade brownbread
Advised to look at her diet. All we could find to cut out were a few pork pies and high fat sausage.
13 years ago I noticed a xanthelasma in the corner of my eye, which indicative of high cholesterol, so I decided to reduce my fat intake. It's easy to jump to the conclusion that it all comes from 'junk' food, but I decided to tot it up and find out where most of my fat was coming from.

It was quite an eye opener, the majority of my fat intake was coming from just a handful of foodstuffs, and none of them 'junk' food. If I had removed the JF from my diet it would only have reduced my overall fat intake by very little, and would have involved a lot of work finding non-junk alternatives. Instead, I managed to get nine times the reduction in fat just by switching to skimmed milk, low fat marge and mayo, and cutting out cheese, biscuits, & the pate I used to put in sandwiches. A low fat food stuff eaten in large quantity can have a greater effect than a high fat product eaten in smaller quantities.

Within a few months the xanthelasma had gone, and without reorganising the menu. FSA recommendation is no more than 30% of total calories from fat.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was put on statins (80mg Atorvastatin daily) nine years ago after a by-pass operation. They cut that back to 40mg daily about three years ago. I have had absolutely no adverse side effects in all those years. I have to have a blood test every eight weeks for a non-heart related matter so it's routine for the medics to check my cholesterol at the same time. It's comfortably within the range that perfectly healthy people have. Personally, I don't see that there are any reasons not to take them. If they give you bad side-effects, the medics will just put you on something else that you will tolerate better. BTW, like you, I was wary of taking long term medication when statins were first suggested. Now, I just gobble whatever they suggest and will continue to do so until I get an adverse reaction, or The Grim Reaper calls.:eek:

yello

Are you me Bob? We seem to have remarkably similar health issues, let's put it like that. Except maybe the family history.

I'm on a daily 40mg dose, despite having only borderline, but the good side, cholesterol. I think my cardiologist has gone 'belt and braces' on me (he's also prescribed a beta-blocker and kardegic) I think the intention is to make it as easy as poss for my heart , by clearing out the pipes, whilst they work out wtf is going on.

What I'm saying is fret not, it might be simply be a temporary measure. I have a bit of muscle ache but quite honestly that could well be from anything and is easily put up with.

Keep us posted, and I'll do the same, whatever we learn along the way might be of mutual benefit! :smile:

Edit: I've also been given an angina spray too, to deal with the chest discomfort. I use it rarely, because it burns and tastes awful, but the stuff works when I need it.

Last edited:

carpiste

Guru
I`ve been on the same 20mg atoravastatin as Fossyant. I`ve been taking them for 8 years in all and have only felt the benefits of taking them. I admit I was initially concerned and tried the diet route but despite losing weight and changing diet my colesterol levels were high. After starting the statins it went down within a month or so and has stayed that way since. For me, statins have been a dogsend and I would suggest if your GP advises it then bite the bullet and take the prescription.

yello

BTW, like you, I was wary of taking long term medication when statins were first suggested. Now, I just gobble whatever they suggest and will continue to do so until I get an adverse reaction, or The Grim Reaper calls.:eek:

Ditto. Funny how some principles simply melt in the face of doctor's advice.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Following a heart attack 6-7 years ago I've been on 40mg Atorvastatin with no side effects. My cholesterol was 6.6 at the last test it was 3.8.

I discussed the medication with my GP. Her response was you're on a low dose of the oldest, best understood statin with no side effects. My advice is stay with it.

That was enough for me. I've no intention of stopping the meds.

OP
OP
bobinski

bobinski

Legendary Member
All, thanks for your replies. Don’t get me wrong I tend to trust the science. I am not anti meds etc. I am conscious though that meds are used to treat a largely sedentary population because doctors know that’s easier than persuading people to change diet and/or lifestyle. I am posting to a fairly select group and so your life experiences and advice is invaluable.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Evening,
Anyway, echocardiogram was favourable, albeit a few odd heart beats, and a 24h monitoring of heart showed a range of 34 through to 166. I can hit 184...(not so )humble bragging. But the bloods gave me a cholseterol reading of 7.2 :eek: We discussed diet but mine is pretty good, only a little meat, rarely any processed foods, lots of fish, homemade brownbread and he said it was clear the high reading was down to genetics and he wanted me on statins pretty sharpish. I am reluctant but knowing my diet it looks like statins are the only answer to addressing the high reading and bringing it down. I see some here have been put on statins and would be grateful for some feedback especiallyif anyone here found themselves in a similar situation and changed diet, however radical, to bring a high colesterol reading down.

Cheers
Bob

Similar to me earlier this year. Went in for my annual heart check up (congenital heart problems) and my cholesterol was also 7. I was shocked as my diet is pretty healthy, I'm vegetarian and only a few pounds over where I should be. I went back and did a fasted cholesterol test at my GP and came well under 5. So I'd suggest you do the same before starting statins. NOTHING against statins - if you need them, get them - but it's worth checking. I was freaked out and it was nothing to worry about.

CXRAndy

Guru
Hi Bob, ive been on statins for 6-7 years. They do lower cholesterol, buts it more complicated than that. There are different types of cholesterol, HDL, LDL. LDL being classed not so good as HDL. But its not as clear, because triglycerides play a part aswell as ratios of HDL to total cholesterol.

Did you get a full cholesterol test or just total value?

Side effects for me were slight leg cramps.

As you probably know ive changed my diet and eating pattern- fasting. This has had a major influence on my bloods. My triglycerides are extremely low. Triglycerides help transport cholesterol around the body.

Even though I eat lots of saturated fats, my cholesterol is just above normal. I'll be retesting again in 3 months to see which way my cholesterol is heading.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Hi Bob, ive been on statins for 6-7 years. They do lower cholesterol, buts it more complicated than that. There are different types of cholesterol, HDL, LDL. LDL being classed not so good as HDL. But its not as clear, because triglycerides play a part aswell as ratios of HDL to total cholesterol.

Did you get a full cholesterol test or just total value?

Side effects for me were slight leg cramps.

As you probably know ive changed my diet and eating pattern- fasting. This has had a major influence on my bloods. My triglycerides are extremely low. Triglycerides help transport cholesterol around the body.

Even though I eat lots of saturated fats, my cholesterol is just above normal. I'll be retesting again in 3 months to see which way my cholesterol is heading.

How are you fasting? I’m always curious and how does it work alongside an active lifestyle? I get so hungry!

Top Bottom