Colesterol and statins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
bobinski

bobinski

Legendary Member
Hi Bob - I take Simvastatin and Ramipril (blood pressure) following a TIA 15 years ago. I was overweight and unfit at the time. As you know, I am reasonably fit now and a decent weight and I often wonder if I still need to take the drugs. My doctor says he suggests I do unless I am experiencing any side effects. I don't think I am, so I carry on taking them. My cholesterol sits around 5 but as others have said, it is more the good/bad cholesterol ratio that is important.

I reckon the doctors are scared to say, yes stop taking them, just in case something goes wrong.

Martin, blimey, I thought I was hiding from you lots posting separately here 😁

I genuinely can’t imagine you overweight and unfit. Hard work and the drugs certainly seem to work for you👍

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Ditto. Funny how some principles simply melt in the face of doctor's advice.
Yep. Om nom nom, morning cocktail time for me :laugh:

OP
OP
bobinski

bobinski

Legendary Member
Why not get the ACL, much easier than repairing the cartilage that you may well be damaging having an unstable knee and presumably missing meniscus. Once articular cartilage is damaged to any extent, it's nigh on impossible to repair (other than with bits of or a whole new knee!) All assuming your catrtilage isn't wrecked already of course!

If taking ibuprofen regularly, get yourself a prescription of omeprazole to prevent damaging your GI tract :okay:

ACL was an option left open and then this thing called a pandemic interfered 🙄😀

I will look up omeprazole👍

OP
OP
bobinski

bobinski

Legendary Member
There are surgeons operating again now :smile:

Omeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor (PPI)

I have been ACL "deficent" for over 35 years following a series of skateboarding, err, accidents. So the consultant suggested we see how i get on with just the meniscus repair. Let's see if i can get to see my GP and get a referral. My cycling buddies in another thread will LOVE it if i do :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm on 80mg atorvastatin, bisoprolol 1.25mg and low dose aspirin following a heart attack in 2016 and a close encounter with angina in 2008, I'm in good shape for a fella a month off his 70th birthday, part of the problem has been genetics and its not been helped by a poor diet in the past, its not ideal now but a lot better than it was, I haven't noticed any side effects from the medication though I do like a nap these days.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ditto. Funny how some principles simply melt in the face of doctor's advice.
When I went on to Statins I knew there was some controversy about them, but I'd never paid much attention. So I asked the consultant to explain. He said - not in as many words - something like: "The controversy around them is mainly about using them to get an effect that could also be obtained by lifestyle changes. That's not why I'm prescribing them to you. I'm prescribing them as an intervention because you've had a Serious Thing." adding "So shut up and take your medicine. Jeez, everyone's an expert these days. I blame YouTube".

Highly embroidered and not anything like his exact words, but that was the gist.

CXRAndy

Guru
I found out so much about diets , fasting, diabetes from YouTube. No doctor would spend the time or willing to part with their learned knowledge.

Saying that it seems the vast majority of general practitioners have limited to downright wrong knowledge of dietary requirements for certain medical conditions.

Diabetes being one example, where the assumption its a chronic non reversible condition and requires life long medicines (insulin tablets, injections) to maintain the condition. Where in many cases insulin just compounds the patients problems.

yello

Statins did get a lot of negative press, it has to be said. A cause célèbre even. Like @Dogtrousers, I was aware of it but, like many things for many people, the debate had little impact on me until it took on a direct and personal relevance. The cardiologist pretty much prescribed them on the basis that he was trying to keep from having a heart attack and he made it seem 'all hands to the pump'

I can't say I notice them (the muscle ache could be nocebo) and I can only assume they are doing something positive. If my ears suddenly grow longer (outside of that naturally occurring with age that is) then I'll let you know.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I found out so much about diets , fasting, diabetes from YouTube. No doctor would spend the time or willing to part with their learned knowledge.
The bit about YouTube was total invention on my part. My consultant never said anything about it. It was my attempt at humour.

Top Bottom