Collar Bone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Allda Pies

I broke mine in four places in June 2005 :smile: There was lot's of talk for about 12 weeks about pinning it. Apparently while it is a common operation the NHS don't like to do it unless there is no chance of the break(s) healing themselves. Mine eventualy healed itself into a ridiculous shape but I could't ride offroad until October and I finally got the all clear in February 06. My best advice is move it as much as possible but don't try riding too soon as it could set things back. I have full movement and have had no probs with the site despite a couple of heavy falls. All the best with the recovery and if you really have no option then dig out the turbo.

OP
OP
gavintc

gavintc

Guru
Well, just back from the hospital. I being operated on Tuesday 5/5 to pin the 3 pieces back togather and to hopefully bring them into line. I saw the X ray today and can understand what the doc was getting at. The pieces are too far apart to come together without some sort of assistance. So, more metal work in the body.

gavintc said:
Well, just back from the hospital. I being operated on Tuesday 5/5 to pin the 3 pieces back togather and to hopefully bring them into line. I saw the X ray today and can understand what the doc was getting at. The pieces are too far apart to come together without some sort of assistance. So, more metal work in the body.

Sorry to hear that Gavin. ;) Did they provide any opinion on how long it would take to get back on the bike?

OP
OP
gavintc

gavintc

Guru
magnatom said:
Sorry to hear that Gavin. :biggrin: Did they provide any opinion on how long it would take to get back on the bike?

I am hoping that their line is pessimism is good so that anything better is seen as an improvement. But, they reckon it will be 4 weeks before I start physio and 8 weeks before I see the bike again. ;):biggrin:

Your challenge is to beat the predictions! ;)

Take it easy. If you don't make it to the Trossachs Ton, just remember I would have been quicker than you anyway. That's an embarrassment best avoided! :biggrin::biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
can we rename your status to "mechano man". i know someone who had their's pinned and you can see the bolts :biggrin:

mine was pretty much a straight break and has healed ok so i'm lucky. however, i wasn't impressed with the lump (all the hospital kept saying was "as long as you get the movement back". WHAT CROCK!!! what about wearing my skinny tops???... i don't cycle 100 miles a week to cover up! LOL). The lump was huge, everyone told me i was paranoid but now they admit it and said they only said it to make me feel better. so anyway the advice at the time was...

1. one doctor... you will have the lump forever and you will not be able to ride to Paris 9 weeks after the accident without being in severe pain.
2. another doctor... the lump is a callous, like a scab, and the bone heals underneath and the callous goes away, but still made a face like "ouch" when i said i wanted to ride to Paris and "we'll see" when i asked him to sign my form (he did eventually)
3. my boss... "i watched a programme ... there is a group of little bone shapers in your body that travel round in your blood stream in a group. your body continually builds bone and they shape it back to its correct shape and eat away any excess bone when they come across it" when he found out i was upset about my lump (i had heard this myself so i think it is true).
4. gym instructor... agreed with boss and told me as soon as pain had gone, to circle my arm and move it as much as possible and the lump will go away because the body will see it as getting in the way and send the bone eating monsters to the lump to remove it.

results were:

4 weeks: able to sit on turbo and LEAN on handle bars with no pain (but weirdly i had to place hand on handlebar before i got on bike coz i couldn't actually lift it to put it on there)

7 weeks: back on bike, no pain and rode all the way to Paris at 9 weeks with no pain

8 months later... no lump.. well almost. the bone looks a bit thicker if i purposely position my shoulders so my collar bones show up better and point it out, but if i stand normally you wouldn't know. apparently my collar bone is slightly shorter tho said Physio.

but my point is, the docs gave me all doom and gloom and then it turned out ok.

Top Bottom