Collision :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
Thankfully you walked away from that one.

It is your duty now to follow all this through, because if you don't, the next cyclist she his may not be so lucky.

Re joining the CTC after the event. I'm sure they get a fair few members each year because of this, do it, use the facilities offered, and you even get a discount on the shop so there are a number of advantages, we might even see you in the 'Touring' forum one day!

Maizie

Guru
Re joining the CTC after the event. I'm sure they get a fair few members each year because of this, do it, use the facilities offered, and you even get a discount on the shop so there are a number of advantages, we might even see you in the 'Touring' forum one day!
The other thing is, they let you do it! They let you join and then straight away contact the solicitors and get them to deal with an accident before the membership. They know people do it.
If they didn't like it, they wouldn't let you do it. So I wouldn't feel like you are taking the proverbial if you do do it :smile:

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Again, thanks for all the replies and comments.

I have the drivers details, make, model and erg of car, etc. Driver wouldn't get out of her car and, to be as fair as possible, looked absolutely disconsolate and horrified, not that I care. Maybe she was terrified that I'd thump her or something.

Going to docs to be checked later this afternoon, and that was fun just trying to get a docs appointment..... "you'll have to go to A&E" .... "no I won't, the police told me to see my GP" ..... "well the first appointment is next Monday..." ...... "errrr, no, today please" ...... "we have no appointments free today" ..... "then I'll have to complain to the relevant regulatory authority". .... "oh, we've just had a cancellation..... " , yeah, right!!

The police, to be fair, called me back earlier today and asked if I'd seen my GP as they'd like to come round and "complete the paperwork". I told them my appt time, they made a note and said they'd phone back to make an appointment after I'd seen the doc.

I'll take all your kind comments and suggestions on board and I'll let you know how things go.

Rest assured I will not be letting this go.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm not a CTC member, I'd feel like a bit if a fraud if I joined now, just to use their legal service?

I don't think you should feel like that. I didn't actually know they offered advice retrospectively, but it sometimes takes an incident to make you aware of how valuable a service can be - it's likely that you'll stick with the membership if you join, and you can always get involved with other stuff if you want to give a bit more back...

StuartG

slower but further
You need to decide what you want to achieve and focus on that.

For me the most important thing is getting any repair or other loss covered. The quickest and easiest way is for the driver to pay out of his own pocket. Its tricky because he should not accept liability under duress by his insurance company - so don't press for saying 'sorry', press for covering your costs without prejudice. And it probably means getting money up front so there is no second thoughts. Which means taking a flyer on cost £50? £100? More and the guy won't be inclined to settle and its an insurance job.

Then there is attitude. Does the guy understand HE came close to disaster. Death and pain may sem personal to you but no driver wants blood on the bonnet. Immediate breath test, car coondition test and a threat of prosecution, points disqualification. As cyclists we think motorists get off light but it probably diesn't feel that way to them until and unless it happens. If you feel a lesson has been learnt than some good has been done in lowering the risk of this driver to other cyclists.

However if the driver is an unrepentant psycho getting him off the road is the best objective. Without witnesses and/or serious injury I don't think you stand an earthly. The police have shown disinterest so if you persist - you become their problem. So unless there is some magical CCTV coverage this is probably not a goer. Bite the bullet on that one.

Bottom line, though, is to write everything down and if the guy diesn't pay up promptly go report it with statement to the police. Not for action but as protection if it goes to insurance. Oh and join the CTC or LCC so you have legal cover next time (or hopefully not next time:smile:

You could also join your safer neighbourhood panel. Plenty of them are retargeting police at anti-social cyclists. Bad as these are you, they aren't as bad as careless drivers if you value injury/death above annoyance. Getting the police to re-focus on lethal road behaviour can only help us all.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
...no driver wants blood on the bonnet. Immediate breath test, car coondition test and a threat of prosecution, points disqualification.

...and these are all the very reasons why the police SHOULD have attended when you called them. Now we'll never know for sure whether the driver was drunk, stoned, on the phone, driving a wreck etc. An officer on the scene would have checked these things and taken action on them.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A collision between a bicycle and a vehicle should be a priority. I'm sure a few things can wait. As Uncle Phil said, now we don't know if she was under the influence of anything.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
A collision between a bicycle and a vehicle should be a priority. I'm sure a few things can wait. As Uncle Phil said, now we don't know if she was under the influence of anything.

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but what is the accepted way to report this kind of collision|? I haven't had to yet, but I assumed that if no one was hurt and there was no immediate danger to others, you'd use a police non-emergency number - we have 101 in Wales but I'm not sure if this is countrywide. Is it better to use an emergency number, seeing as the telephone operators are trained to assess priorities anyway?

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Debian, save yorself and plod a bit of time when they come around...use the format on the link

A bit like this

It will help get detail in the right order and save him/her having to ask you to clarify points over and over again!

More time for plod to drink coffee whilst writng silently....

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but what is the accepted way to report this kind of collision|? I haven't had to yet, but I assumed that if no one was hurt and there was no immediate danger to others, you'd use a police non-emergency number - we have 101 in Wales but I'm not sure if this is countrywide. Is it better to use an emergency number, seeing as the telephone operators are trained to assess priorities anyway?

Nope...Emergency number is for Emergencys only...if there is no immediate danger to life, limb or property...non emergency number. I don't think 101 is national yet so most forces use an 0345 or 0845 number.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Thanks for the pointer to the template Vike, very useful. So, if I understand correctly I complete the template accordingly and when the local Bobbie comes round to take the statement I simply hand him my completed template?

Also, a question about phone numbers. If one is in a strange area, or even in ones own area, how is one supposed to know the local non-emergency phone number? I don't even know what my local police number is let alone if I was cycling in a different area. I would use 999 in any similar situation in the future.

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

<br />I suggest storing the non-emergence numbers in your phone<br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

All well and good.

What if you don't have a mobile with you and you have to borrow one / use a call box. 999 is known to everyone and can be dialled quickly from anywhere; I won't hesitate to use it again in similar circumstances.

Even if you had a list of all the local numbers how would you necessarily know whose force area you were in at the time if you're in a strange area?

davefb

Guru
<br /><br /><br />

All well and good.

What if you don't have a mobile with you and you have to borrow one / use a call box. 999 is known to everyone and can be dialled quickly from anywhere; I won't hesitate to use it again in similar circumstances.

Even if you had a list of all the local numbers how would you necessarily know whose force area you were in at the time if you're in a strange area?

indeed, its insane that they havent got a non emergency number setup... beggers belief that they can't just route something like AREACODE-555-5555 to the most relevant police place.. for example?

instead each area seems to have it's own number, okay so i could put my local plod in, but as you say that just assumes i've got the accident in that area.

and thats just the coppers, what about if you want medical help ( like you said you wanted to get to the gp) should you ring for ambulance or just try to find nearest medical centre ?

( mind you, call box might have some info assuming its not been vandalised :biggrin: )

Top Bottom