Colnago,Pinarello,Bianchi etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The more reports I read of CF bikes breaking the less I feel like riding my Focus Cayo a bike that is at the cheap end of the market but good value.So it got me thinking that the next bike I buy, when I get permission from the other half of cause, should be either a steel or aluminium one from a prestigious bike maker such as I have mentioned but when I look at their range of bikes they are predominately CF so that idea looks like a bad one then.
Given that can I ask everyone whether they feel that the more expensive the bike the better the CF is or is there some other criteria I should be using to determine how good the bike is.

As long as you treat the bike correctly, it shouldn't just 'break' whether it's carbon fibre, steel, aluminium, titanium, magnesium, etc.

True, carbon fibre may not shrug off accident damage in the same way that say, steel may - but it's just one of the cons on the list, not a big reason not to buy it. It all depends on what you really want the bike for, your budget, and your preference. Don't let fearmongers try to convince you that a CF bike will shatter if you go over a pothole though, it's just not the case!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
what reports have you read of carbon bikes breaking without them being either a copy of a brand bike from a questionable asia source, bikes such as a 'chinarello'?

Specialized change the carbon grading and lay up process for different bikes. The specialized carbon used has a greater tensile strength in the better models.
Specialized functional advanced composite technology (FACT) is rated as follows
  • FACT 8r uses E240 carbon with a tripple monocoque layup, final layer 12k
  • FACT 10r uses E390 carbon with a FACT IS layup, final 12k
  • FACT 11r uses E630 carbon with a FACT IS layup, unidirectional weave
As such you can conclude that the expensive bikes have a better quality carbon fibre and a better layup process... The real question is what difference does it make to the average joe, and in most cases the answer is very little. The differences are more towards improving the stiffness of the frame and weight and you pay for this. It does not mean more cost effective bikes offer lesser strength.
At the end of the day a bike no matter what material it is made from is only as good as its warentee or the manufacturer who supports it imho.

Don't make the mistake that buying a bike from the three you mention means you buying an Italian thoroughbred, far from it.

Unless you were to buy the very highest model of any of them then the frame will have been built in the far east, and probably not at a dedicated Colnago, Pinarello or Bianchi facility, but more likely at a generic frame manufacturer who probably makes frames for multiple bike companies under license.

I avoid carbon myself, but even I can't deny the findings in this video, http://www.pinkbike.com/news/santa-cruz-bicycles-test-lab.html

Reactions: gaz
If you are paranoid about CF then have a look at the ally offerings from Rose and Canyon, all get good reviews and offer a similar weight to a mid range CF offering of much higher price.

OP
OP
hondated

hondated

Guru
Thanks everyone for your quick responses to my posting.It seems that my desires for many years to own a top end Colnago etc have fallen on stoney ground given everything now seems to be CF and as has been mentioned not built in Italy but rather in the far east. What a shame but I suppose its what they call progress.
Cheers oldfatfool will do.
smokeysmoo Just watched video which has you implied is at the very least thought provoking,thanks.

HovR

Über Member
In reality, your CF bike most likely isn't going to fall to pieces as some would have you believe.. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a nice steel road bike to add to the collection! ^_^

Colnago Master :wub:

th_b17182dc58dcf8dd966aafee6c70605f_1310408119_magicfields_bk-main_1_1.jpg

http://www.colnago.com/master/

Mr Haematocrit

Pinerallo carbon frames are manufactured in Taiwan but the bikes are partly assembled in Italy, this is how they can legally wear the 'made in italy' badge.

Mr Haematocrit

wish i could lay claim to the term but alas i can not, its a commonly used term for fake pinarello's from china.. google for the term and you will get loads of info about buying and the risks of doing so.

jayonabike