Colnago V4Rs vs Ridley Noah Fast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NikolajG

Hello,

I am looking for a new bike and deciding between two bikes because I can get a discount on them at my local bike shop. The two bikes are Colnago V4Rs and Ridley Noah Fast Disc both equipped with the new 12-speed Ultegra Di2. I will be using the new bike for training but especially for racing so performance is key. I am looking for a bike that is both aero, lightweight, stiff and will perform good in all types of races (e.g. flat, uphill, downhill). Both of the bikes are great and I can't decide which one would be right for me so I am asking for some help and advice. I would guess that the Ridley is more aero, whereas the Colnago is a bit lighter? If you know about the two bikes or own one of them please help me decide and provide some pros and cons for the both of them. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Gotta be the Colnago. No contest. Imagine telling someone you've got a Ridley and watch as their expression glazes over.
Might be useful to post links to the two bikes, fairly pointless though as the Ridey won't inspire any oohs or ahhhs.

:welcome: to the forum.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't race what you can't replace - is the Colnago really 15k ?

https://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/colnago-v4rs-review/

It's hard to go wrong with a top range bike - they will all be more bike than the amateur needs - any difference in performance will be unnoticeable.

what have you got now ?

Exactly - i.e. don't race what you can't replace ! Ultegra will be cheaper and lower spec wheels, but the frames (on both) aren't cheap.

I'd have to have a C Series Colnago personally, not the jelly moulds. My 'recent' mucky bike Colnago World Cup will do for now.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
If I was putting together a bike for racing, where money would be no consideration, it would probably be the aluminium aero Specialized which name escapes me now. Add to that some quality Chinese wheels, like Lun Hypers. For groupset - something for which spares are readily available - you don't want to trash the derailleur and wait 6 weeks for a new one.

AndyRM

XOXO
Gotta be the Colnago. No contest. Imagine telling someone you've got a Ridley and watch as their expression glazes over.
Might be useful to post links to the two bikes, fairly pointless though as the Ridey won't inspire any oohs or ahhhs.

:welcome: to the forum.

Sorry, but that's just brand snobbery. There's nothing wrong with the Ridley, and it's a damn good looking bike.

They both seem much of a muchness, though the Colnago looks a bit more punishing in terms of position.

You say you'll be racing with this, but haven't been particularly specific. They're both light, aero and can be specced to whatever you can afford.

Jameshow

Veteran
Sorry, but that's just brand snobbery. There's nothing wrong with the Ridley, and it's a damn good looking bike.

They both seem much of a muchness, though the Colnago looks a bit more punishing in terms of position.

You say you'll be racing with this, but haven't been particularly specific. They're both light, aero and can be specced to whatever you can afford.

Agreed I'd take the Ridley rather than the dentists colonoscopy.....
Any other brands available?

Cannondale systemsix, cervelo, pinerello etc.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry @AndyRM I wasn’t being entirely serious, but brand’s definitely play a part in your buying choices whether you’re selecting wine, a car, TV or in this case a race bike. Brands have often spent years and tons of money on promoting themselves to attain a position in the market. If a brand has a poor name it will take a long time to overcome that. Look a Skoda, years ago you wouldn’t be seen dead drunk in a ditch in one and it’s only recently with the help of VW that they're seen as acceptable to own.

AndyRM

XOXO
Sorry @AndyRM I wasn’t being entirely serious, but brand’s definitely play a part in your buying choices whether you’re selecting wine, a car, TV or in this case a race bike. Brands have often spent years and tons of money on promoting themselves to attain a position in the market. If a brand has a poor name it will take a long time to overcome that. Look a Skoda, years ago you wouldn’t be seen dead drunk in a ditch in one and it’s only recently with the help of VW that they're seen as acceptable to own.

No need to apologise, I came across a bit harsh there.

I just find brand loyalty a bit baffling. I've done lectures about how it's all meaningless in the past which is probably why I'm a bit biased.

An interesting subject to be sure, but wildly off on a tangent!

AlanW

Guru
I bought a Ridley Noah Fast with the 12sp Di2 Ultegra groupset at the very tail end of last year, and its an absolute cracking bike to ride, if only I was 40 years younger to get the best from it :sad:

-1434156124_20220904_155718_1733398.jpg

464080574_20220904_155613_2579824.jpg

All uphill

Still rolling along
No need to apologise, I came across a bit harsh there.

I just find brand loyalty a bit baffling. I've done lectures about how it's all meaningless in the past which is probably why I'm a bit biased.

An interesting subject to be sure, but wildly off on a tangent!

I would go for the Ridley just because it isn't yet another big brand. The 'me too' thing doesn't work for me.

I always said I'd treat myself to a colnago when I retire but couldn't bring myself to do it. You pay a lot for the name.
Now if it was twice as fast as the Ridley it'd be worth it but it's probably exactly the same.

DogmaStu

Both are great bikes and you cannot go wrong with either. As a bias, I would choose the Colnago but that's based purely upon aesthetics.

As other's have pointed out, such a bike for us mere amateurs is a dream buy for solo and group rides, unless you can afford to replace it comfortably in the event of a racing incident.

I have a 2023 Pinarello Dogma F (identical spec to Ineos Grenadier's bikes this year) and it is my dream buy. I won't be racing it though. It is getting me faster Strava segment times, largely down to more aggressive geometry so I am more aero, but I reserve my older Wilier Zero6 for racing.

My Wilier has seen 3 racing crashes, one at 40mph+ and it is unscathed! Not even a scratch (it is unpainted though...). Just needed new bar tape. A win for carbon in this case - I broke my Reynolds 753 steel bike in the 80's in a similar crash! Despite this, I'll not risk the Dogma F unnecessarily.

Top Bottom