Columbia teams: Eneco vs. Ireland ** SPOILER**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Anyone else not quite understand why Cav is riding Ireland (very hilly, not ProTour, only three stages) and not Eneco (mainly flat, ProTour, more stages)? Surely the latter would be the natural choice for more team wins?

Close to home and guaranteed big crowds?

What does LA have to do with it? ;)
No, Cav doesn't necessarily decide where he rides (although you'd think that he would have more options than a second string rider) but it still begs the question, 'why Ireland?' regardless of whose decision it was.

akaAndrew

Could have something to do with sponsorship? I don't know but money talks sometimes. Ireland's been on Cavendish's calendar for ages though, as I recall.

mr-marty-martin

well chuffy if you read my post properley you'll realise what lance has to do with it...

lance will bing so much coverage to the racem press etc, propalys be in the mags more stuff like that...so columbia for one will be trying to get some good advertisment for the sponser's...

and why not anyways, its a good race

mr-marty-martin said:
well chuffy if you read my post properley you'll realise what lance has to do with it...
I did read it (after I'd run it through Babelfish). Columbia don't need to trail Lance around to get publicity, Cav is a big enough star without having to do that.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Flying_Monkey said:
Anyone else not quite understand why Cav is riding Ireland (very hilly, not ProTour, only three stages) and not Eneco (mainly flat, ProTour, more stages)? Surely the latter would be the natural choice for more team wins?

Is the ToI "very hilly" this year? I thought I'd read that there were 2 winnable Cav stages.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
rich p said:
Is the ToI "very hilly" this year? I thought I'd read that there were 2 winnable Cav stages.

Compared to Eneco, it is... Tyler Farrar is cleaning up there!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Flying_Monkey said:
Well, Russell Downing won the first stage today ahead of all the more famous names.

Good for him. He's hoping to put himself in the frame for a Team Sky contract so that should help.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If I want to avoid seeing a result I tend to avoid the race section, cyclingnews, radio sports results etc.

Top Bottom