Columbus Aelle-framed Olagnero with a flat bar conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've picked up today locally a Columbus Aelle town bike (conversion?) which is an unknown make. It's got Shimano Exage / early 105 components and I'm guessing was originally drop-bar but now has flat bars and a different seatpost/saddle.

Any thoughts as to what this might be? The frame number under the bottom bracket has 'A-53' and there's an Ambrosio sticker on the seat-tube near the front derailleur.

DSC00119.JPG

DSC00120.JPG

DSC00121.JPG

DSC00122.JPG

DSC00123.JPG

There's quite a bit of rust and some of the chrome's lifted. Also the top bit's been re-sprayed at some point, if not the whole bike.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Nice find @DCLane
53 might be frame size measured from top of bottom bracket shell as is fairly normal on Italian frames
Shame about the chrome

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Looks like an Olagnero .

@Spiderweb gets the prize :notworthy:

This one looks very similar: https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/316685/

Now ... drop bars with 7 speed shifters / drop bars with down-tube shifters / groupset upgrade? :whistle:

Oh, and given the price of this one, I think I've ended up with a bargain :okay: Their quote:

"Olagnero were a small boutique shop in Milan whose frames were allegedly built by legendary contract builder Vanni Losa, also of Milan. This frame is built from Columbus Aelle, and it proudly states 'made in Italy' on it, and the lug cutout is a similar shape to Losa's 'V' signature, but we can't be entirely sure it's a Losa built frame. Whoever the builder, they've done a fine job, with neat internally routed rear brake, rear entry seat stay lug and Cinelli fork crown make for a very refined frame. "

Last edited:
OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

I think I’d go down tube shifters/drop bars.
I like it a lot, I think that chrome with some tin foil/coke/autosol and elbow grease should look more than acceptable.
Post some more picks as you fettle please.

That's my thinking. I've got a pair of very nice Campagnolo 7 speed wheels currently on my Raleigh Pioneer - :wacko: - which would fit well here.

I've started on the chrome and it's not as bad as the photos make it appear. Just need some retro drop bars, brake levers and downtube shifters.

If you fancy 105 I have some 7 speed shifters, brake levers and calipers looking for a good home.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Oh, and given the price of this one, I think I've ended up with a bargain :okay: Their quote:

"Olagnero were a small boutique shop in Milan whose frames were allegedly built by legendary contract builder Vanni Losa, also of Milan. This frame is built from Columbus Aelle, and it proudly states 'made in Italy' on it, and the lug cutout is a similar shape to Losa's 'V' signature, but we can't be entirely sure it's a Losa built frame. Whoever the builder, they've done a fine job, with neat internally routed rear brake, rear entry seat stay lug and Cinelli fork crown make for a very refined frame. "

I think its fair to say they price their stuff "fully"
https://www.pedalpedlar.co.uk/colle...gnolo-50th-anniversary-vintage-road-race-bike

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

@T4tomo - true, and mine's a lot more battered.

Anyway, son no. 2's off to university next year we think and it's been commandeered by him for that. After it's had a new bottom bracket, headset, saddle, paint done, decals, etc. So things can wait for a bit but, given he's aiming to go to a university which is known for bike thefts a Dawes Kingpin and an old Olagnero shouldn't be too popular with thieves compared to the other bikes there :okay: .

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think its fair to say they price their stuff "fully"

That's one way of putting it. I went to the Donald J Trump school of diplomacy so I'd just say "piss take" pricing. Vintage sellers usually try it on a bit, some are simply outrageous.
I got a couple of steel Roneo/Armstrong card index filing cabinets out of a skip recently. One dated 1930 marked GR (govt issue) and another one dated 1956. They make very useful tool storage for spanners, socket sets etc, much stronger than modern DIY quality stuff. Some eBay vintage sellers were asking nearly £200 each for similar items! :laugh: :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
@T4tomo - true, and mine's a lot more battered.

Anyway, son no. 2's off to university next year we think and it's been commandeered by him for that. After it's had a new bottom bracket, headset, saddle, paint done, decals, etc. So things can wait for a bit but, given he's aiming to go to a university which is known for bike thefts a Dawes Kingpin and an old Olagnero shouldn't be too popular with thieves compared to the other bikes there :okay: .
After taking my road bike down for year 1, I rode a BMX bought for 2nd hand £25 (in 1988) at uni thereafter. I sold it on to a guy in the year below for £35 as I left. Some b@gger did nick the front wheel from where it was chained up to a metal downpipe one night, but insurance paid out for nice pair of fancy alloys.

Top Bottom