Coma coma coma coma coma cameleon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My oldest and dearest friend Andy has been living on borrowed time since being diagnosed with cancer of the colon and pancreas. About three and a half years ago he was told he had 18 months to live. Hes on huge doses of morphine and other drugs to keep him going and his condition fluctuates a lot. Recently the hard days have outnumbered the good days, he spends days in bed in agony, and he had decided long ago that he wouldnt go back into hospital when his condition deteriorated.

Ive spent as much time with him as I could over the last few years though I live hours away from London and have work commitments. A couple of weeks ago we spent a great couple of days together in London, visited the BM, the Tate Modern and the Design Museum. Lovely days. 'Memory days' if you know what I mean.

He has been pestering me to get a Giant Halfway for him, I havent had time to follow it up so instead I lent him my Brompton.

I hadnt heard from him for a few days, we usually talk twice a week, and his phone was turned off. I didnt think much of it, his sleep paterns are very erratic.

His neighbour called me the other night when I was out on the town (with a 'baby elephant lover' of this parish). According to the little information Matt was given Andy had fallen off the Brompton, smashed his head off the floor and has been in a coma ever since.

Naturally Im really upset but my first thought was ' God I hope my bike's alright'!!!
Jeez.

(The thread title refers to Andys story of being followed home from a gay bar in the early eighties by an amorous and very under aged George and shouting at him to F-off every few yards)

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Flipping Henry, how awful!! What a terrible situation!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yeah, it's tough news. Times like that you have to remember the nice times, the Memory Days, as you call them (what a good phrase).

And think about the upsides. I guess he won't be in pain right now. It sounds harsh, but, you have to try and see the tiniest positives. And thinking about the bike, that's just a natural distraction mechanism...

Makes me think about people like Jane Tomlinson, and your mate, who go on against all expectation. I fully expect that if I was given a bad diagnosis, I'd just give up. Some people just have amazing reserves.

As always, Mickle (private joke coming up) "If there's anything I can do...."

Very sad tale....

Don't worry about the "How's the bike?" response, it is simply a natural one.

I had an accident some years ago (# skull, # pelvis, #clavicle, #ribs) and that was my first response and biggest concern - How was my bike!

longers

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about your friend.

I think Cunobelin is right about your first response being a natural one.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Thank you very much for your kind words people.

I have no personal experience of comas, aside from my own alchohol fueled temporary ones. Ive been thinking about those stories of people being brought out of long term comas by family or friends talking to the victim or playing a favourite tune. All I can think of saying is 'Wake up you lazy poof'. Wonder how the nurses will react.

I want to give him a slap for being such a twat.

He likes Frank zappa but Im not listening to that shoot for anyone!

walker

Cathryn said:
Flipping Henry, how awful!! What a terrible situation!!!

I know, it scares me being followed by Boy George too.

But on a serious level my heart goes out to your friend, what are chance's of him pulling out of this?

ChrisKH

Guru
I'd hate to ignite a fire of controversy and ask whether he was wearing a helmet...........in any event cancer of the colon and pancreas is no fun (almost been there but sidestepped it with some major surgery and intervention) and maybe your friend has been blessed with the coma. If you see what I mean.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
No he wasnt and neither will I be when I climb into a Mercedes van this afternoon to drive to London, nor did I wear one when I walked to the shops this morning.

mickle said:
No he wasnt and neither will I be when I climb into a Mercedes van this afternoon to drive to London, nor did I wear one when I walked to the shops this morning.

Excellent answer to a pointless and borderline offensive remark.

Mickle you sound like a good mate and you've really put effort into making your friend's life enjoyable and comfortable.

Top Bottom