Combe Laval - now reopened :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Just a heads up, if you are heading in that direction, that the famous Combe Laval balcony road is closed for the time being following a rockfall...

870x489_dflefuhxcaethw5.jpg

Not a major rockfall, but given the nature of the road, they will be assessing next week if this is an isolated fall, or whether it needs further safety work. When it is open, it certainly is worth a visit if you're heading down past Lyon, or are in the Grenoble direction.

img_20170827_115246693_hdrblog.jpg

Crankarm

Guru
Oh no. I wanted to ride these roads, to see the Col de la Machine this summer.

I'm assuming no one was struck in that rock fall and hurt. A few of those balcony roads in the area have already been permanently closed and blocked off due to rock falls. Hopefully this one isn't.

Last edited:
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Oh no. I wanted to ride these roads, to see the Col de la Machine this summer.

I'm assuming no one was struck in that rock fall and hurt. A few of those balcony roads in the area have already been permanently closed and blocked off due to rock falls. Hopefully this one isn't.
Good news: it's open again :smile: And no-one injured in the rockfall.

Les Gorges du Nan is currently closed for safety work, but due to reopen this month.

The only permanently closed ones are Canyon des Écouges (though you can easily sneak round the half-hearted barrier) and les Grands Goulets (whose barriers are more formidable). Both stunning.

BTW, when are you there? I'll be around end of July to beginning of September. Happy to advise on routes, in any case.

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
Given the roads that are closed because of the likelihood of rockfall then I wouldn't be comfortable ignoring barriers or closure notices. A rock falling on your head would give you a big headache.

Not sure when I shall visit, but hopefully before the summer is out. If time is really short I might make a quick tour on my motorbike, certainly easier getting there, but would prefer to cycle. Train to Grenoble then ride into the Vercours. Gorge de la Bourne is also a must see. Autumn colours would likely be spectacular but with colder nights. If not this year then definitely next.

Last edited:
OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Given the roads that are closed because of the likelihood of rockfall then I wouldn't be comfortable ignoring barriers or closure notices. A rock falling on your head would give you a big headache.

Not sure when I shall visit, but hopefully before the summer is out. If time is really short I might make a quick tour on my motorbike, certainly easier getting there, but would prefer to cycle. Train to Grenoble then ride into the Vercours. Gorge de la Bourne is also a must see. Autumn colours would likely be spectacular but with colder nights. If not this year then definitely next.
Well, I'm glad to have taken the risk: https://unanglaisendiois.wordpress.com/2015/08/06/col-de-romeyere-1074m-and-the-canyon-des-ecouges/

DSC03471.20150805blog.jpg

Yes, the Gorges de la Bourne certainly is a spectacle - haven't done it in the Autumn yet. Also worth riding up to Presles from Pont-en-Royans, for this little road:

img_20160828_115144423blog.jpg

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Re rockfalls, all I can say is that every road in the area poses a certain risk. I assume that reducing the risk is a balance of pro-active and reactive works. Injuries and deaths are thankfully extremely rare, even when there are rockfalls such as this one in Gorges de la Bourne in December 2017:

bourne-3408353.jpg

They've actually had quite an extended period of works in the GdlB, putting in preventative safety nets. A nice video of 2012 works there here: https://www.vercors-tv.com/Securisation-les-gorges-de-la-Bourne_v623.html

All I can say is that the risk is minimal, especially if you keep your wits around you, listening for any scree movement that might presage anything more substantial coming down.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Are you in France yet? If not, it can't be long...
I'll fly there in early September, for 4 weeks cycling. I'll be at Pyractif B&B in Bertren (about 30km north of Bagneres-de-Luchon) for 15 days cycling, then at The Pyrenees Cycling Lodge in Saint-Savin (about 5km south of Argeles-Gazost) for another 13 days cycling. The wait is driving me crazy. :hyper:

OP
OP
briantrumpet

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I'll fly there in early September, for 4 weeks cycling. I'll be at Pyractif B&B in Bertren (about 30km north of Bagneres-de-Luchon) for 15 days cycling, then at The Pyrenees Cycling Lodge in Saint-Savin (about 5km south of Argeles-Gazost) for another 13 days cycling. The wait is driving me crazy. :hyper:
Aha, - I couldn't remember if you were before or after my summer break. I'll torture you a bit more when I'm there, promise :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
Re rockfalls, all I can say is that every road in the area poses a certain risk. I assume that reducing the risk is a balance of pro-active and reactive works. Injuries and deaths are thankfully extremely rare, even when there are rockfalls such as this one in Gorges de la Bourne in December 2017:

View attachment 415182

They've actually had quite an extended period of works in the GdlB, putting in preventative safety nets. A nice video of 2012 works there here: https://www.vercors-tv.com/Securisation-les-gorges-de-la-Bourne_v623.html

All I can say is that the risk is minimal, especially if you keep your wits around you, listening for any scree movement that might presage anything more substantial coming down.

Do you live in France?

Top Bottom