Combi seated vans

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lookrider

Hi all
I'm looking at getting a "van" for adventures and away days etc
Currently looking at a mercedes vito or Peugeot traveller which seem to be able to adapt Seats so as too also get more bikes in/less passengers and vice versa depending on the circumstances
The Peugeot I see is a 1.6L engine and my concern is would a decent laden holiday van cope with hills in the lakes etc
I currently have a 1.6L kia shortage which does struggle all be it slightly
The Peugeot is a diesel engine so I'm assuming a same size diesel is much more powerful than a petrol
Amy advice is welcome and if you want to recomend another similar van that's ok

Drago

Legendary Member
I have the most powerful version of the 1.6 diseasel, albeit in a car. 300NM is a pretty decent amount of grunt for a small bore unit.

We used to have a Spurtaggro 1.7 diesel, the mk4, and it wasn't a particular nice engine, which shows that things can vary a lot between small bore oil burning mills.

Jody

Stubborn git
What age is the 1.6 HDi - worth doing some research about the reliability as certain models weren't that good.

Make sure they are serviced more than regularly (half interval ideally), running an injector cleaner through the fuel system and keep an eye on the EGR.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
1.6l diesel engine will be substantially less powerful than a petrol, but my guess is that it will be turbocharged, and so possibly more powerful, depending on the size of the turbo. Looks like @Drago has done the homework for you, though.

Drago

Legendary Member
2917 67
Done 51000 miles
The post 2016 is the one to have.

Jody

Stubborn git
Are you buying new or almost new? If yes, save yourself the money on a Merc as they are affectively now a Renault/Nissan with a Merc badge on. Same engine/gearbox/floorpan etc

It's the usual badge engineering

mercedes-vito-2020-01.jpg

065-renault-trafic-review.jpg

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks for the help
That's all gobble gook to me as I dont look out for anything on a car
I wait till the red lights flash on the dash then it's off to the garage

Oh dear,

You're likely to have more than your leg pulled if buying a used car/van.

Choose the vehicle that fits your requirements. Join that relevant owners vehicle forum and read lots of posts about every aspect, problems, running costs, insurance etc etc. Then when you're satisfied it's still the vehicle you won't be so ignorant of its weakness's when attempting to buy one

Top Bottom