Combination OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potosr

Regular
Hello,
I'm asking if this combination will work :
- 5 speed freewheel
- Shimano RD-TY18 rear derailleur
- Shimano Tourney Shift Lever SL-TX30
or I need another freewheel?
Thx a lot for your answers.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Check that the shifter is a 6sp (5 clicks?) - you can get a TX30-7 which is 7sp.
If so, either
1) procure a 6sp block, or
2) use the 5sp block and use the limit screw on the RD to restrict it to 4 shifts. The sprocket pitch is the same (5 and 6sp).
Good to go.

Reactions: C R

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Shifter is 7 speed, freewheel is 5... so presumably they're incompatable. I don't think you'll get a 7sp block on a 5sp hub / wheel as the axle spacing is different.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You're likely right. I which case I'd go with my option (2) above, unless the shifter is an indexed 7sp, in which case the OP's combination will not work properly.

wafter

You're likely right. I which case I'd go with my option (2) above, unless the shifter is an indexed 7sp, in which case the OP's combination will not work properly.

Yup; a quick google suggests that it is indeed indexed 7sp. Tourney is the lowest-spec gear Shimano do (certainly for road) and with it the lowest number of speeds (next up are Claris at 8, Sora at 9 etc). For road 5sp is 120mm OLN, 6&7 126mm and 8sp+ 130mm. MTB jumped straight to 130mm at 7sp then 135mm for 8sp onwards. As usual Sheldon Brown reveals all ;)

Ultimately I think the OP remains screwed in trying to fit a 7sp cassette to a 5sp hub (and any 7sp indexed parts to a 5sp freewheel.

I've been through all this with the Routier (120mm OLN, 5sp) - the only way to get indexed STIs is to spread the frame to 126mm and use 7sp Tourney or 130mm to fit anything larger. Ultimately in my case too much cost, hassle and risk; while I suspect the OP's situation is similar.

OP
OP
P

potosr

Regular
I'm newbie newbie :smile: and my english is very poor...will you please tell me what means the abreviations OLN, IIRC, OP?
I think I must dissasembly my wheel, make some measurements on frame, hub, axl, etc and after that with your help maybe i understand better how the things are.
For moment, i decided to use :
- Shimano Tourney MF-T500-6 freewheel
- Shimano RD-TY18 rear derailleur (possible also Shimano RD-TX35, Shimano RD-CT10, Shimano RD-M290)
- Shimano Tourney SL-TX30-6R shifter
but after the measurements if you tell me what is better i will make what you recommand me.
Thank you very much.

wafter

I'm newbie newbie :smile: and my english is very poor...will you please tell me what means the abreviations OLN, IIRC, OP?
I think I must dissasembly my wheel, make some measurements on frame, hub, axl, etc and after that with your help maybe i understand better how the things are.
For moment, i decided to use :
- Shimano Tourney MF-T500-6 freewheel
- Shimano RD-TY18 rear derailleur (possible also Shimano RD-TX35, Shimano RD-CT10, Shimano RD-M290)
- Shimano Tourney SL-TX30-6R shifter
but after the measurements if you tell me what is better i will make what you recommand me.
Thank you very much.

OLN = "Over Lock Nut" - the axle width measured across the outsides of the axle lock nuts - which is the same as the gap between the insides of the dropout.

IIRC = "If I Remember Correctly"

OP = Original Poster - the person who started the thread - you ;)

Good luck!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Your shifter is 6sp. The RD* is compatible.
1) Take the wheel out
2) Measure carefully the distance between the dropouts (where you slot the axle in) (the OLD - see @wafter 's definition above)
a. If it is only 120mm, then carry on with the 5sp freewheel and use the shifter and RD you've listed: use the H limit screw on the RD to restrict it to 4 shifts. And ride on.
b. If it is 126mm, then buy a 6sp freewheel block/cluster, remove the 5sp one (will not be easy, and you need a freewheel removal tool and a BIG spanner) and screw on the new one. And ride on (adjusting RD limit screws as necessary).

* Rear derailleur

OP
OP
P

potosr

Regular
I have measured the distance between the dropouts and it is 130 mm, but i am struggling to understand something: are the inside surfaces of the dropouts coming into touch with axl locknuts (Sheldon), or the outside surfaces?
I have come across cone locknuts of different widths / thickness (eg 2mm and 4mm). Does the measured distance (O.L.D.) not depend on the width of cone locknuts?
In my case OLD is 124 mm.
The length of the ax is 175 mm.

Ajax Bay

Guru
OK so the distance between the rear drop outs is a measured 130mm.
Yes, the inside surface of a dropout is directly in touch with the axle locknut.
You say the axle is 175mm so this means you secure the wheel with (not lock) nuts (130 + drop out 'thickness' (2 x 6mm) which leaves 16mm protruding axle each side for a (not lock)nut (8/9mm).
The OLD of the hub (as made up with axle) depends on its dimension (ie between flanges) but also the cone and any spacers, and then the locknuts.
Forgive me for not understanding: you say the wheel's OLD is 124mm. Does it fit in the bike without a huge compression, applied when you tighten the nuts? Which makes me doubt that the dropout distance is 130mm (sorry for being a doubter).

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

potosr

Regular
In the non-drive side there is a spacer of 6mm between the cone locknut and the cone. The spacer isn't in image.
Forgive me too for not understanding (maybe i'm wrong) : the photo is ok? If is ok, blue is in contact with yellow outside surfaces.
But, probably I make a mistake... :smile:

Attachments

• Photo.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Having a spacer on the left side is normal. It's needed to keep the wheel on the centre line and if it wasn't there the difference in spoke tension between left and right would risk the left side almost losing all tension, which would not end well.
You have not answered the question I asked: "Does the wheel with an OLD is 124mm fit in the 130mm dropouts without a huge compression, applied when you tighten the nuts?" If not which dimension is wrong?
1666994689550.png

Top Bottom