Combining Cycling & Rail travel - Research

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shea Turvey

Hi everyone, myself and 3 others are working on a marketing project for Scot Rail and hoped we could gather some basic understanding of cyclist needs when proposing to combine your cycle journey's with rail travel. any feedback would be amazing especially if you are willing to voice any frustrations you may have with the current system of bringing bikes on trains.

Survey Link: https://forms.gle/7VoqXDiGX4t9dFA78

Thankyou in advance for any feedback!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Hi Shea, have answered your questions, which appear to be different to a survey with a similar focus posted earlier. From one former SHU student, wishing you good fortune in the Challenge. 👍

For CC members, these recent surveys would appear to be supporting entries into a Challenge to help ScotRail 'overcome the new obstacles they face due to coronavirus, with people switching to cycling to complete the journeys they'd normally do by train.'
The brief for the Challenge, containing more details, can be accessed via the above link. Makes an interesting read.

Hi everyone, myself and 3 others are working on a marketing project for Scot Rail and hoped we could gather some basic understanding of cyclist needs when proposing to combine your cycle journey's with rail travel. any feedback would be amazing especially if you are willing to voice any frustrations you may have with the current system of bringing bikes on trains.

Survey Link: https://forms.gle/7VoqXDiGX4t9dFA78

Thankyou in advance for any feedback!

Hi Shea. I completed the survey. For me three things are important:

1. Barrier free access to trains and stations, with wide doors and no or minimal steps: Bikes with bags are heavy.
2. Enough space so we aren't "competing" with wheelchair users for space.
3: Dry and secure parking at stations.

Good bike storage on trains in Germany:

2019_08_Mühlrad_Holiday_06.JPG

Plenty of space, no steps, wide doors, and clear signage that shows it is for bikes; this reduces conflict with wheelchair users. There is space for wheelchairs and pushchars in another part of the carriage, near a disabled toilet.

By the way toilets that work are very important.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
As above all I want are trains with sufficient space that are easy to get onto, stations with easy access and exit. Oh, and easy bike booking.

Getting my bike through the station, up the stairs, up onto the train, hanging it up (!) leaves me exhausted before I start my journey.

In comparison incentives, offers and environmental issues fade into insignificance. Sorry.

OP
OP
S

Shea Turvey

All of the above has been really helpful guys! yeah I agree how space is poorly utilised, I am aware scotrail have begun to add bike carriages with the potential to hold up to 20 bikes on their west highland line which is a step in a good direction but without some serious investment, rail networks will struggle to improve the ease of experience for cyclists. Hopefully we can figure out a way to slowly transition the current infrastructure of their services to a more cycle friendly experience.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
What they also need to realise is that many train journeys are not being made with a bike. Purely because of all the obstacles. That’s missed income , rather a lot

snorri

Legendary Member
I used to regularly visit a relative some 30 miles from my home. The sensible thing would have been to use the train and my bike at each end of the journey. Because I always travelled at short notice, when the weather was fine, booking a train space in advance was impractical.
Scotrail lost my business due to their 'must book' policy.
Why is there so little space for bicycles when seating is never fully occupied on some routes?

I used to regularly visit a relative some 30 miles from my home. The sensible thing would have been to use the train and my bike at each end of the journey. Because I always travelled at short notice, when the weather was fine, booking a train space in advance was impractical.
Scotrail lost my business due to their 'must book' policy.
Why is there so little space for bicycles when seating is never fully occupied on some routes?

This is a very fair point: I'll be visiting family today with bike/rail: cycling to the station, train to Stuttgart and then a tram up the hill to my family, all possible because I can just walk onto the train.
I have to plan the journey so I get off the tram in the suburbs of Stuttgart before 4pm, when bikes aren't permitted on trams until 6:30. Fortunately trains don't have this problem.

Top Bottom