Cycling and Train travel survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cainyy

Hello everyone, I am a masters student currently developing a marketing campaign for ScotRail, as part of their initiative to encourage both cycle and train travel. As a result, I am conducting some primary research into cyclists views on both cycling and train travel, including the possibility of combining both in their journeys. Any response would be greatly appreciated, I am unsure if this is a suitable post for the general discussion forum, let me know if it is not. The link to the questionnaire can be found here: https://forms.gle/w6X1fG668jMuUR567

Slick

Guru
A marketing idea for scotrail, how about a joined up booking service for local routes. I could book my bike on Virgin from Edinburgh to Newcastle but couldn't guarantee a space on the train from Glasgow to Edinburgh. Couldn't get my head round that one for quite a while.

OP
OP
C

cainyy

Maybe aimed at folk with folders, for that trip between station and final destination.
Yes, it was asked to see if any respondents to the questionnaire cycle to stations and their motivation for doing so opposed to regular transport like car. Although in hindsight it probably isn't phrased amazingly well! Thanks for the replies :smile:

OP
OP
C

cainyy

Booking bikes on trains is hard
Knowing where to stand on a platform for bike carriage is a guessing game
Facilities for bikes on trains are often poor unless you have a skinny road bike with no mudguards and no luggage.

Spontaneous journeys often impossible or fraught with worry as to whether you’ll get on the next train coming.
Yeah I can definitely see that problem and empathise with cyclists wanting to get the train - things definitely need improving overall in cities for cyclists

classic33

Leg End Member
Staff attitudes to cyclists is something that needs addressing.
Having paid to travel at a certain time and be told partway through the journey to get off, doesn't make me want to use that company again.

In my case First.

As Ming and others have said, bikes on trains is poor, and haphazard in the UK. It has been ever since sliding door trains were introduced, which by their very nature limit access for bicycles and person using assistive devices. It was much better in the ‘slam-door’ era, although still occasionally problematic.
Any attempt to improve cycling and trains requires a comprehensive rethink, and should include additional space for cyclists and persons travelling with bikes, as well as those who have greater need for aided mobility.
The requirement to change the infrastructure to achieve this is more than a privatised company is likely to want to bear.
If it were possible to turn up with a bike, get on my desired train service, and travel to my destination regardless of operator, or changes en route, without hassle, and with at the very most a small charge for my bike, I would be happy, I think this means a necessary reduction in potential space for others, currently.
So, best of luck to you for a positive outcome, but I’d be surprised if anything changes.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I know I hide it well but I'm actually a huge fan of train travel, I just think it's what we do with it that ruins it.

Ebikes, did anyone consider the weight of them when they designed that stupid hanging hook in a cupboard setup?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Never mind an ebike I can't lift my hybrid onto those hanging hooks. And if someone helps me lift it up how do I get it down again on my own?

But I do love travelling on my little Northern Rail journey where most of the staff recognise me and ask where the bike is if I don't have it. Only thing about working from home that I miss.

Slick

Guru
Never mind an ebike I can't lift my hybrid onto those hanging hooks. And if someone helps me lift it up how do I get it down again on my own?

But I do love travelling on my little Northern Rail journey where most of the staff recognise me and ask where the bike is if I don't have it. Only thing about working from home that I miss.
Yeah fair point as whilst my complaint is on behalf of Mrs slick, I doubt she could lift any bike on to one if those things without help.

I agree, ebikes are not easy, but then the ‘e’ doesn’t stand for easy :laugh:
I managed in France with these 2, Mrs SnG may have put her shoulder out!
AF462487-C8C9-4ED9-A480-0E661FAFAA01.jpeg

This is part of my point, I think each coach had space for 6 bikes at each end, making it possible to join any train (unless everyone was taking their bikes of course), but you can just see the steps up to the area, and also steps up to the train floor. MUCH better for space then any UK train (I think - I’ve driven some of them but haven’t travelled on all of them), but still not fully functional.
Couple that (in grammar terms) with this one from Paris to Rouen...
4C34D70C-B7E1-4DBF-98F7-C5004C491401.jpeg

which was similar to some Uk trains, it with almost double the space for bikes, at each end and if the middle.
Obviously, things are improving, but we’re still well behind.
Maybe Scotrail can begin the improvements.

snorri

Legendary Member
I have great sympathy for Cainny, he/she is doing research for a Scotrail project and is getting flak from the militant tendency of Cyclechat for every T.O.C. failings on the UK rail network in the past 50 years.:biggrin::biggrin:
Don't let them grind you down cainny, they're a likeable bunch really and they particularly like researchers like you who come back to the forum with comments:smile:.

TOC = Train operating company

Last edited:
I'd presume you have looked to other countries for ideas on what to do right?

As to why I'd consider combining train & bike, my primary reason would be efficieny & effectiveness.

I don't commute by train but tour and have often taken a loaded bike on a train with no hassle at all, not even a reservation - but that's not in the UK.

For the outsider, the UK rail system is a nightmare!

Good luck and well done for coming back to comment.

Top Bottom