Cycling and Train travel survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have great sympathy for Cainny, he is doing research for a Scotrail project and he's getting flak from the militant tendency of Cyclechat for every T.O.C. failings on the UK rail network in the past 50 years.:biggrin::biggrin:
Don't let them grind you down cainny, they're a likeable bunch really and they particularly like researchers like you who come back to the forum with comments:smile:.

TOC = Train operating company

Ah, of course, any negatives in my posts were meant constructively, and I did complete the survey.

oh, and I did say “So, best of luck to you for a positive outcome..” and “maybe Scotrail can begin the improvements”!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've had some 'hilarious' moments with bikes on trains.

I adore trains though, for all kinds of reasons, so you'll have to work hard to keep me off them..

The booking system where you first book yourself a series of tickets on line - Devon to Inverness for example, then having to phone up to four different train companies to book seperate tickets for the bike.

Can't be done online??

Oh no..

On some legs you can reserve a place for your bike..

Others not.. Just take a chance, there will be space ..??

Sure it will be fine..

Mostly it is..

But not always.

Even online bike booking details can be ambiguous..
"You may need to book on this service if the moon is in Sagittarius" .. Or some such...

Multiple changes, with just enough time..

So take, this lift?

Does it even work??

Does a bike fit into it..??

Well just, but only if its only me and my bike..

But of course yes the elderly folks with their massive luggage must take a ride down first.

No, I'm sure I'll make my connection - no problem.

The thrill of squeaking on with just seconds to spare, all adds to the spice of travel, of course

Stare at the info screen, to find out which platform?? -
Which lift?? .

Where on the platform to stand??
Do the platform staff know which end?

No? OK I'll hedge my bets, stay in the middle, and try not to take anyone out as I hustle down to the correct end when the train finally arrives.

Ignoring tuts and glares from cyclist
unfriendly staff..

Hardly any of them, are really, they just want to get on with the job - and get the train going again. fair enough .

But just now and then.. There's a jobsworth who insists you must remove even all your very slim luggage before loading..

And leave it unattended on the platform, while you hang your bike up inside..

But then??
Crivens, its unattended luggage on the platform .

Luggage in first.??
Ah, then its an unattended bike..

Will it be hanging hooks, side by side or stacking, locked in with everyone else..

So - who's getting off first then ?

Or load into the guards van..??

Will someone come to let you out of the guards van.. Or will you be transported to Glasgow against your will??

It has happened to me..

Will you even be able to get off at small station platform..??

Train could be longer, than the platform alighting space.

Oh a small kissing gate at the exit..??

How romantic.. With a full touring rig?? , wheelie time then.. .

Just occasionally even, your scheduled train..

Turns into a replacement bus service - "it's a kind of magic" ..

Ah OK.

Enlist the help of some accomplices, to slide your bike into the bus luggage compartment, and slam the door on it before anyone questions your moves..

This is mostly on 'leisure' trips, so it's all 'fun' really.

However, I'd imagine all this sort of 'exitement' on everyday, mundane commuting trips would wear quite thin, quite soon. .

Sorry I'm rubbish at questionnaires, the questions rarely seem to relate to my experiences.

But yes!!

if you could help to sort out an integrated bikes on public transport system, that would be great.

If slightly more dull, for some of us..

Best wishes with it all. :okay:

Last edited:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Actually I was once on a Scotrail train - Edinburgh to North Berwick I think - which had a whole carriage for bikes. It looked fantastic though I didn't have a bike with me at the time. I don't know how common that is/was.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
@cainyy The 'Bike-Rail User Stories' section of the Cycle-Rail Forum for the North might provide some helpful tips.

As a side point, interesting that the forum above, set up by Northern Rail (now Arriva), only merited a (free!) Google Site as its home. They didn't incorporate it under the Northern banner as a subset of their website, nor did they even give it a few quid for a domain and hosting. An indication of the degree of importance they attached to 'consultation'? </cynicism>

IaninSheffield

Veteran
This from the ScotRail site:
hstcyclespace-resized2.jpg

Of all the different forms of on-train cycling provision (as others upthread have indicated), these are by far the worst. Fair play to ScotRail in recognising this though - '...we recognise that the storage area is a narrow space and could be challenging to use by some customers and for some bicycles.'
Hope your research might contribute towards changing things for the better.

OP
OP
C

cainyy

Appreciate all the comments! Although I am yet to take a bike onto a train myself, I can clearly see the issues on trains for you guys. Something definitely need changing and i'm hopeful I can develop some form of insight based on your responses. Thank-you to you all for answering the questionnaire, I really appreciate it.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Appreciate all the comments! Although I am yet to take a bike onto a train myself, I can clearly see the issues on trains for you guys. Something definitely need changing and i'm hopeful I can develop some form of insight based on your responses. Thank-you to you all for answering the questionnaire, I really appreciate it.
You really ought to try it before you finalise your campaign, although perhaps unwise in the current circumstances. You will no doubt experience first hand some of the comments which have been made, both here and in your survey. Good luck with it.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Something Scotrail , and in fact most trains companies ought to do. Is put their on train bike facilities in stations and selected points round the country. Then encourage cyclists to try using them and post videos and photos of their efforts. They’d soon realise how crap they are.

Slick

Guru

Milkfloat

An Peanut
For the last 20 years I have refused to travel by train with my bike (in the UK) - thousands in lost revenue. It is far too complicated and unnecessarily painful. It is pretty clear that train companies do not want to accommodate cyclists.

Top Bottom