come off this morn and also need some advice re tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hero of valour

…weren't left any room by a nice motorist who took a different trajectory to everyone else and careered towards the kirb, got caught on some dodgy road full of leaves etc and came off onto kirb, slid across some grass and got wrapped around a lamp post. More damage to the bike and apart from a headache and whiplash I'm ok. Anyway, Ive got a gatorskin continental on the back and I don't like it….i usually use ribino pro's but had a gatorskin stuck on as part of a service….what tyres do people suggest? I need more grip! ride 700-25cc

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Well I have started using Marathon Pluses now seems to have good tread and no probs but im always wary of leaves anyway.Used Gatorskins at one time but im not sure I really liked them.Hope you and bike are ok.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
…weren't left any room by a nice motorist who took a different trajectory to everyone else and careered towards the kirb, got caught on some dodgy road full of leaves etc and came off onto kirb, slid across some grass and got wrapped around a lamp post. More damage to the bike and apart from a headache and whiplash I'm ok. Anyway, Ive got a gatorskin continental on the back and I don't like it….i usually use ribino pro's but had a gatorskin stuck on as part of a service….what tyres do people suggest? I need more grip! ride 700-25cc
tyres would make little difference in that example, I can tell you from my own experience anyway with tyres. Used Marathon + Race, slippy as anything good puncture protection but there is a reason for that 1kg weight each!! I commute in spring/ summer with Michelon Pros no issue, and right now I`m running Rubino Pros folders in a 23c . Dunno how these will fair over winter but we shall see. Certainly not grippy but you need to take more care at this time of year!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Leaves or ice, nothing is really going to help. Ice can be dealt with using studded tyres, but you need a cross or hybrid bike or a MTB.

Leaves are just dodgy full stop. Lots of leaf mulch about and it's as slippy as hell. I use Conti 4 Season, but they are expensive. Plus side is they are great in the wet, but not on leaves.

Hope you and the bike are OK.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Leaves or ice, nothing is really going to help. Ice can be dealt with using studded tyres, but you need a cross or hybrid bike or a MTB.

Leaves are just dodgy full stop. Lots of leaf mulch about and it's as slippy as hell. I use Conti 4 Season, but they are expensive. Plus side is they are great in the wet, but not on leaves.

Hope you and the bike are OK.

funnily enough had a nice wee broadside on the bike coming home and it was due to ice and leaves on the path, kept it all together like a true pro though :becool:

Leodis

Veteran
GP 4 Season seem to be ok, tbh on leaves nothing much is going to protect you. I took the ribino pro 23mm off last weekend and popped on 25mm GP4 seasons and they are good, the extra £60 better? No but I feel more confident.

Wooliferkins

If you can take the wallet hit Vittoria Evo Open Pave are good. I'm a Gatorskin fan but the Paves are really good. As above leaves and ice will bight whatever rubber you use.

AndyRM

XOXO
As said, leaves pretty much equal game over, regardless of the tyre.

GP4000s are my weapon of choice in the winter.

Main thing I'd suggest is taking as much care as possible round corners and in tight spots. Granted, that doesn't account for dodgy driving.

On the subject of Winter tyres, anyone tried these? Topcontact Winters
http://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/city/winter/topContactWinter_en.html

I'm thinking about putting them on the hybrid for Winter riding.
Yes, ran them last winter, very grippy, the rubber compound is adapted for the cold. They do pick up a lot of rubbish off the road though, the tiny bits of tread seems to trap debis onto them. Those "hairs" take ages to come off and rub on the mudguards for weeks. They are expensive too.
interbike2011_087.jpg

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
A bit draggy but I run a set of vittoria XG pro in winter on my CX bike (34c). I can bang down pretty much any surface with lower pressure and be ok, but they wouldn't be suitable for city riding and would wear down on the roads pretty fast. For winter tarmac I second Vittoria Pave, expensive but grippy and super ride quality with decent puncture protection.

Top Bottom