Keep hitting my shin and recently fell off bike - What shin pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milena

I keep hitting my shin on the pedal of my bike. Only the right shin. Never the left shin.
I often shuffle to get out of the way of cars on a road, or to mount a pavement where there is no dropped kerb. This shuffling results in shin hitting pedal.
I recently slipped while turning slowly in the rain.

Minor injuries, but the worst is the pedal hit the shin in the same place as always REALLY hard. I walk with a limp now.
I cannot keep damaging my shin. What shin guards would you recommend that won't slip and that won't get too sweaty during the summer?
Also they must be able to not crack or get a hole from repeated pedal strikes. Mine are not usually hard strikes as per the above. More kinda 'walking into the pedal while shuffling' which creates a small hole and blood comes out.

What do you think of:
View: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninjaskin/shinguards

I am in contact with them, it's 100 Euros for a pair.

Thanks

Ajax Bay

Guru
Kinder pedals. I shall guess that most on here have been 'bitten' by metal pedals (flats).
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/commute-plastic-body-and-cage-kraton-top-9-16-inch-thread/
Will need a 6mm allen key to remove current and replace.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Three choices -
(a) traditional rubber pedals. I can't see the point of agressive toothed metal ones myself

(b) toe clips and straps

(c) one of the cleat based clip in systems, rather confusingly called "clipless"

As an aside, off road motorcyles tend to have toothed metal footpegs, presumably for extra grip which hurt a lot when you fall off, which you will off road (I have scars still), but road oriented motorbikes have more sensible rubber footpegs - and you don't as a rule come off road bikes.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Why are you shuffling onto the pavement?
Dismount(get off the bike) then get onto the footpath. There's always the danger, if you're trying to get you and your bike out of the way, in one go, of going over into traffic.

Learn to keep one foot on a pedal whilst dismounting. There'll be fewer hits on the lower legs.

I keep hitting my shin on the pedal of my bike. Only the right shin. Never the left shin.
I often shuffle to get out of the way of cars on a road, or to mount a pavement where there is no dropped kerb. This shuffling results in shin hitting pedal.
I recently slipped while turning slowly in the rain.

Minor injuries, but the worst is the pedal hit the shin in the same place as always REALLY hard. I walk with a limp now.
I cannot keep damaging my shin. What shin guards would you recommend that won't slip and that won't get too sweaty during the summer?
Also they must be able to not crack or get a hole from repeated pedal strikes. Mine are not usually hard strikes as per the above. More kinda 'walking into the pedal while shuffling' which creates a small hole and blood comes out.

What do you think of:
View: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ninjaskin/shinguards

Thanks

ONE HUNDRED EUROS?

Go clipless and theres no sharp bits to hurt your shin.

That's unfortunate.

I cannot keep damaging my shin. What shin guards would you recommend
That's an interesting logical jump.
Others have immediately looked at the pedals - a valid point. Some of those are nasty.
Personally, I'd look to change whatever I was doing that was hurting me. In this case, rotating the pedals before I start to push the bike and considering @classic33 's suggestion.

According to the website more like €53.
They seem designed for MTBers. More casual use might not be so good.
Require tight clothing to stay in place without a knee guard.
Not exactly a whole lot of feedback and they don't seem to have managed a sale in a year.

Sometimes the solution is within us. ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
If really wanting, super light football shinpads under long socks?
If it's always the same place, a plaster applied before riding?
Kinder pedals as stated?
Get off the bike if really really need to get onto the pavement, you shouldn't be on the bike on the pavement anyhow if you're an adult ;)

Or just be more careful?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Maybe look at what shoes you're wearing.. A more chunky tread pattern on the shoes might stop the slippage and, consequently, hurty shins.

OP
OP
M

Milena

If really wanting, super light football shinpads under long socks?
If it's always the same place, a plaster applied before riding?
Kinder pedals as stated?
Get off the bike if really really need to get onto the pavement, you shouldn't be on the bike on the pavement anyhow if you're an adult ;)

Or just be more careful?

I'm not usually shuffling on to the pavement. There's one place I have to to get to the supermarket. Don't like cycling on the road leading into the supermarket because it's longer and drivers are very aggressive at the supermarket and on that stretch of road. I'm only crossing the pavement then, not really cycling on it.

I know I'm not supposed to cycle on pavements, but there's times where it's too dangerous to cycle on a road, so I go on the pavement. If there's people walking on it, then I dismount, but that depends on if there's space for me to walk alongside my bike which requires more space than riding it. Gotta make sure there's enough clearance between legs and pedals so you don't trip etc as well.

The shuffling I'm doing is mainly on roads to get over to the side or to a side patch of land that for example is a driveway into a farm. It's not a proper driveway. Not paved or concrete or anything. Sometimes it's just a layby kinda thing but just a patch of land. Like soil and grass etc.

I'm terrified of cars. Riding roads is very dangerous for cyclists so I try to avoid them as much as possible. I ride for pleasure and to and from the supermarket.

I also shuffle to move so I get a better view if I stopped to look at a view.

Last edited:
Top Bottom