Keep hitting my shin and recently fell off bike - What shin pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Milena

I've a feeling he's using his feet hobby horse style, to move the bike, rather than getting off it. The pedals strike/hit the legs in the same place every time.

Getting off would be the safer option.

But it's not just that. After my accident, which I mentioned in my op, 2 weeks later, I still have swelling around the pedal strike and where it's struck/where my shin struck the pedal still remains a scab. It's still not healed.

Accidents happen. It's not just the shuffling but that is an issue. It's not something I can control. In the moment, there's a car behind me either being aggressive or not, I get scared, I stop and shuffled over to the side.
I'm fearing my life in that moment, not my shins.
Or I've already stopped and need to shuffle as a car approaches. There's many scenarios where I need to shuffle.

OP
OP
M

Milena

That's unfortunate.

That's an interesting logical jump.
Others have immediately looked at the pedals - a valid point. Some of those are nasty.
Personally, I'd look to change whatever I was doing that was hurting me. In this case, rotating the pedals before I start to push the bike and considering @classic33 's suggestion.

According to the website more like €53.
They seem designed for MTBers. More casual use might not be so good.
Require tight clothing to stay in place without a knee guard.
Not exactly a whole lot of feedback and they don't seem to have managed a sale in a year.

Sometimes the solution is within us. ^_^

No they told me in dm's with postage it's 100 euros.

Why do they need tight clothes to stay in place?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240309_103058_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_103058_Instagram.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240309_103336_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_103336_Instagram.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Milena

If really wanting, super light football shinpads under long socks?
If it's always the same place, a plaster applied before riding?
Kinder pedals as stated?
Get off the bike if really really need to get onto the pavement, you shouldn't be on the bike on the pavement anyhow if you're an adult ;)

Or just be more careful?

A plaster won't do anything. It would require a sheet of thin strong metal or similar plastic to stop the sharpish pedal part from injuring me. A plaster provides no protection at all.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Maybe look at what shoes you're wearing.. A more chunky tread pattern on the shoes might stop the slippage and, consequently, hurty shins.

My feet are not slipping. I've explained the shuffling I'm doing in more depth now in other replies above.

Also when I slipped (bike tires slipped on a brick pavement type thing that's for cyclists too, ground was wet) and came off the bike, I don't even know how my shin hit the pedal. But it did. Hard. Made a shallow hole in my skin into the bone.

I wasn't going fast at all. Hardly got injured. I slipped on to my left side.

Left knee some skin got taken off, it's scabbed at the moment. Small area about 2cm radius.

Right hand got a blood filled black thing. Like when skin gets pinched. Forget what it's called. It's about 1cm by 2cm or less. It's going away slowly.

But I certainly need new shoes. Mine are running trainers, 6 years old with no grip left on the bottom pretty much.

I'll post photos of them later today if I remember.

The image where my leg is vertical in the photo, ISN'T my current injury. It's my typical injury from shuffling. That photo was taken last year.
I slipped off on my bike 2 weeks ago.
The image where my leg is horizontal, was taken just now.
You can see some swelling near the injury site.
And the other 2 images, one of my knee and the other my hand.

I was wearing thin leather gloves designed really just to look good 😂. They're not cycling gloves. They're normal gloves from John Lewis. They are really only OK for early autumn and spring. Because they're thin. But. They provided some protection it seems during the fall.

Attachments

• 20231209_173533.jpg
    20231209_173533.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 1709977904159498589577637065740.jpg
    1709977904159498589577637065740.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240309_095503.jpg
    20240309_095503.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240309_095529.jpg
    20240309_095529.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
M

Milena

OP
OP
M

Milena

I've a feeling he's using his feet hobby horse style, to move the bike, rather than getting off it. The pedals strike/hit the legs in the same place every time.

Getting off would be the safer option.

I had to YouTube 'hobby horse shuffling'. So... Wow. A wooden stick with a crated horse head. And girls 'ride it' pretending to be a horse. Absurd. Understandable if they're young kids with poor parents, but other than that.

Anyhow, this video seems to be how you think I'm 'shuffling'

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/ZhLR0tIsEpM

That's not shuffling. From what I see, horse hobby riding involves no shuffling.

Don't you know what shuffling is and looks like on a cycle?
It's small shuffles of the feet to move you and the bike. Forwards, sideways, whatever, to move you to where you need to be, while standing over the bike. Usually you won't move more than a meter this way. It's for small movements to get out of the way of cars or whatever.

OP
OP
M

Milena

What do you mean by shuffling that causes you to hit your shin on the pedal as a vehicle passes ? im just trying to understand what you are doing ?

Try walking while standing over/straddling a bike via its frame, not seated, though I can't remember if I ever do it seated, sideways and also try forwards and backwards. You'll soon understand what mean.

Here's a photo of a kid straddling a bike. Though he appear to be seated as he's on his tip toes.

Please also review other replies which I've posted today where I've explained in more depth.

Attachments

• boy-straddling-a-mountain-bike-front-view-PFET56.jpg
    boy-straddling-a-mountain-bike-front-view-PFET56.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 5

classic33

Leg End Member
But it's not just that. After my accident, which I mentioned in my op, 2 weeks later, I still have swelling around the pedal strike and where it's struck/where my shin struck the pedal still remains a scab. It's still not healed.

Accidents happen. It's not just the shuffling but that is an issue. It's not something I can control. In the moment, there's a car behind me either being aggressive or not, I get scared, I stop and shuffled over to the side.
I'm fearing my life in that moment, not my shins.
Or I've already stopped and need to shuffle as a car approaches. There's many scenarios where I need to shuffle.
There's no mention of an accident in your first post on this thread*. You "keep on hitting your shin on the pedal". This when shuffling your bike, when you need to get out of the way of cars or mounting the pavement where there's no dropped kerb.

Where is the left leg & foot when you're shuffling, in relation to the bike?
You're on a road vehicle, keep it on the road. I'll be honest and say you don't sound too confident riding on the road**.

The body is amazing at repairing itself, but repeated hits in the same area will slow down the healing process.

You can wear shin guards, but that isn't addressing the problem. They're a way of stopping you getting hit by the pedal, but not the problem that's causing the pedal to keep on hitting the same leg, in the same place. They're also a means of moving the problem on, or causing injury elsewhere. Unless you address the issue with your shuffling.

*Is where you slipped whilst turning slowly the accident you mention in your reply? If it is, find a quiet stretch of tarmac free of traffic, where you can practice turning either way at a slow speed.

Edited to add
**Assuming you are being serious for the moment, I'd advise giving up the cycling and stick to walking. Sooner or later you'll end up hurting someone other than yourself. You hurt yourself, you've only yourself to blame.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I had to YouTube 'hobby horse shuffling'. So... Wow. A wooden stick with a crated horse head. And girls 'ride it' pretending to be a horse. Absurd. Understandable if they're young kids with poor parents, but other than that.

Anyhow, this video seems to be how you think I'm 'shuffling'

View: https://youtube.com/shorts/ZhLR0tIsEpM

That's not shuffling. From what I see, horse hobby riding involves no shuffling.

Don't you know what shuffling is and looks like on a cycle?
It's small shuffles of the feet to move you and the bike. Forwards, sideways, whatever, to move you to where you need to be, while standing over the bike. Usually you won't move more than a meter this way. It's for small movements to get out of the way of cars or whatever.

I'm trying to work out if you're being serious with this answer.

Remember you're talking about a bicycle, which is what the response of "hobby horse style" refers to.
See
https://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/TypesOfBicycleListing.aspx?ID=1

for the type of hobby horse mentioned.

classic33

Leg End Member
My feet are not slipping. I've explained the shuffling I'm doing in more depth now in other replies above.

Also when I slipped (bike tires slipped on a brick pavement type thing that's for cyclists too, ground was wet) and came off the bike, I don't even know how my shin hit the pedal. But it did. Hard. Made a shallow hole in my skin into the bone.

I wasn't going fast at all. Hardly got injured. I slipped on to my left side.

Left knee some skin got taken off, it's scabbed at the moment. Small area about 2cm radius.

Right hand got a blood filled black thing. Like when skin gets pinched. Forget what it's called. It's about 1cm by 2cm or less. It's going away slowly.

But I certainly need new shoes. Mine are running trainers, 6 years old with no grip left on the bottom pretty much.

I'll post photos of them later today if I remember.

The image where my leg is vertical in the photo, ISN'T my current injury. It's my typical injury from shuffling. That photo was taken last year.
I slipped off on my bike 2 weeks ago.
The image where my leg is horizontal, was taken just now.
You can see some swelling near the injury site.
And the other 2 images, one of my knee and the other my hand.

I was wearing thin leather gloves designed really just to look good 😂. They're not cycling gloves. They're normal gloves from John Lewis. They are really only OK for early autumn and spring. Because they're thin. But. They provided some protection it seems during the fall.
Those gloves seemed to have caused your blood blister. Avoid putting your hands out to stop you hitting the floor. Known as "Runners Wrist", and can lead to the wrist being broken. Check for a picture of the bones in the wrist and hand.

OP
OP
M

Milena

There's no mention of an accident in your first post on this thread*. You "keep on hitting your shin on the pedal". This when shuffling your bike, when you need to get out of the way of cars or mounting the pavement where there's no dropped kerb.

Where is the left leg & foot when you're shuffling, in relation to the bike?
You're on a road vehicle, keep it on the road. I'll be honest and say you don't sound too confident riding on the road**.

The body is amazing at repairing itself, but repeated hits in the same area will slow down the healing process.

You can wear shin guards, but that isn't addressing the problem. They're a way of stopping you getting hit by the pedal, but not the problem that's causing the pedal to keep on hitting the same leg, in the same place. They're also a means of moving the problem on, or causing injury elsewhere. Unless you address the issue with your shuffling.

*Is where you slipped whilst turning slowly the accident you mention in your reply? If it is, find a quiet stretch of tarmac free of traffic, where you can practice turning either way at a slow speed.

Edited to add
**Assuming you are being serious for the moment, I'd advise giving up the cycling and stick to walking. Sooner or later you'll end up hurting someone other than yourself. You hurt yourself, you've only yourself to blame.

I'm not going to 'give up cycling'. Yes that's the part in my op where I wrote I slipped. As I said it was bricks, my tire pressure was high but within the parameters of the tires acceptable pressure range, and I cannot stress the fact that it was bricks. Smoothish bricks. It went from tarmac road to bricks. Ground was wet. I never slipped while turning on tarmac. I rode the bike in the rain on gravel and tarmac over 18 miles just fine before.
This time when I slipped, it was a very short ride into town. That brick section I have never cycled on before. As I've now learnt, it's very slippery when wet.
It was also about -2c.
The tires are entry level tires too. There are many factors as to why I slipped. And I slipped ONE TIME having owned this bike for almost a year now... but I should GIVE UP cycling because I fell one time in those conditions on that particular brick path!?

I've attached photos of that brick section. I slid into that tree on the left. Very slowly as I wasn't going fast. I was turning left.

Your reply isn't very helpful. You're just blaming me and telling me not to cycle.

I had cycles before this when I was younger and never had this issue of shin hitting pedal, but then I never rode as much and as far as I do now. BUT it never happened on any other cycle I rode ever before. Even when I rented one about 4 years ago or so, and I did 30 miles or so on it.
It seems to be just this specific bike it happens to me on which I bought new last year.

Regardless. I think it's horrible that you tell me to give up cycling.

I don't know where my left foot and leg are in relation to my pedal when I shuffle. As I said I'm not looking or paying attention to that when I shuffle. I'm fearing for my life. Or sometimes I shuffle to see a nice view, in which case I'm still not looking down at my legs etc.

I can't always just keep cycling on the road. Example. I cycled 40 miles in one journey last month, and there was a uphill bit on road. If I had cycled the entire road without stopping to giveaway for traffic I would have caused a traffic jam going back miles. Not to mention drivers getting very angry and overtaking dangerously. That road has almost no straight bits and plenty of blind corners and isn't OK to overtake on as it's kinda narrow. Not that narrow. But kinda. So when I heard cars coming up behind me, I would pull over to the side and let them pass. I would have to shuffle sometimes because I wasn't far enough over or something like that. I can't remember exactly why I shuffle.

How would shin guards move the problem on??!! They would just stop the pedal hurting my shin.

I suspect the bike may be a bit too small for me which may be why I get the shin hitting pedal issue. A medium in 'X's companies bike may not be the same size as a medium in 'Y's' companies bike. Bike sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer despite being listed as the same size. Much like shoes.
The bike that I rented 4 or so years ago was I believe a large. You don't pick the size of the bike on the site. You get given a bike on the day.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240310_063243_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240310_063243_Maps.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20240310_063257_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240310_063257_Maps.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need to stop straddling the bike to shuffle it. It's obvious you'll get caught by a pedal as they will be in the way of your legs. Get off and push. That's what I do. I never shuffle a bike. I'll always have one foot on a pedal if I need to move the bike without getting off. One of the reasons I prefer SPD off road (mountain bike and cyclo cross bike) is your feet don't slip and if they do, or the pedal catches your shin, then you tend to get a bruise rather than cuts.

Those aren't big wounds at all. I get worse than that doing maintenance on the bike.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Personally, I rarely straddle the frame of my bike and walk, but when I do, it is only for very short distances. - A couple of metres at most.
Depending upon the style of your bike, you are likely instantly restricting movement in your legs (pedals), arms (handlebar) and body (saddle) and as a consequence you do not have full control of your bike. You create your own trip or pedal strike hazard and if something does go wrong, a bike stuck between your legs with you over the crossbar, instantly reduces your escape options.
The solution is not shin guards, but either getting off the bike in those places you don't feel safe to ride properly, or to scoot with one foot on a pedal.

Top Bottom