come off this morn and also need some advice re tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Why not go back to the Vitorio Rubino? I think it's a great all-rounder.
You can get them for under a tenner.

Why not go back to the Vitorio Rubino? I think it's a great all-rounder.
You can get them for under a tenner.
I didn't like them for grip but other folk swear by them :wacko:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
gonna run the vittoria rubino pro 3 all winter and see how I get on, until now I seem to spend most nights picking grit and glass out of wee cuts :tongue:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
On the subject of Winter tyres, anyone tried these? Topcontact Winters
I was also sufficiently impressed by the hairiness to take a photo ^_^
I didn't notice any rubbing as I have the clearance to allow for a bit of snow.

They don't give as secure a grip on ice as studded tyres, but are quite a lot nicer to ride.
Grip is better than a standard winter road tyre (4-seasons etc) - I didn't spin out until it got to 8-10% going straight uphill on sheet ice (cold enough to be dry ice, rather than wet)
They measure up smaller than the quoted size - the 35 is more like 32.

On the OP, no 25c tyres will grip well on ice, dead leaves, mud, loose gravel, wet drain covers, wet tar banding or wet white lines. The trick is to pay attention to the road and not try to corner on them.

Last edited:

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
Use Continental Tour Ride wired in the winter. The 28x700 measures 25mm across on mavic Open Pro Clincher rim and is only 2mm taller than my usual GP 4000S 25x700. Excellent grip and decent life span, also quite inexpensive. Don't use spike tyres any more....getting too old to be out when they are required:cold:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
True, the Top Contact Winter are nominally 700x37c, but having just put them back on the bike, they are actually 31-31.5mm wide. (622-17 rim)

Last edited:
Top Bottom