Comfiest road bike saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I assume the bike fit is right?
if i have my saddle set wrong i know about it , if its to high feels like i have extra pressure in the nether region .

DRM

Guru
I have used Selle Italia saddles on my Giant & The Verenti, my recently purchased Marin Gravel bikes stock saddle, didn’t seem that bad a fit & a little tweaking with the position and angle has proved to be a comfy perch, it’s really pot luck, my first road bike, a Carerra, had a saddle that must have been designed by the Spanish inquisition, as after 20 minutes you would have admitted to anything, it was dreadful no matter what you did.
i would recommend a visit to a decent LBS and get measured as first step, then get something that suits your sit bones, good luck !

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Fizik do a scheme where you pay a deposit and they loan you a test saddle which they measure you for, you can hand it back and try others to see which you get on with. Not cheap of course.

12boy

Guru
Be kind to thy ass for it bears thee....I found a saddle that works for me and now have 5 for my favorite 5 bikes. BTW, padded leggings or shorts may not help a lot if you are sitting on underwear seams. As my sitbones are close together, I favor hard narrow saddles as wider ones rub my legs and cause nether region numbness in an hour or so. I've also learned there is a relationship between fore and aft placement, saddle angle, height and width as well as how much weight is resting on the hands and comfort over a longer ride. For example, bending over drop bars significantly lower than the saddle puts pressure further forward than sitting erect with bars equal to or higher the the saddle. Part of saddle comfort is just getting used to pressure on the sitbones which can only be achieved by riding for a while.
Working these many variables out for yourself is literally a PITA, but when you hop on the bike and ride for while and then notice you don't think about posture, the saddle, your stiff neck or achy shoulders, etc.......that is when riding a bike is sublime.

it’s really pot luck, my first road bike, a Carerra, had a saddle that must have been designed by the Spanish inquisition, as after 20 minutes you would have admitted to anything, it was dreadful no matter what you did.

Like the saddle that came with my Wiggins Rouen - made by Torquemada, I tell you... My poor bottom...

Swapped for a Charge Ladle and never looked back. My bottom is not a fan of narrow t-shaped saddles. It is also not a fan of the Selle SMP saddles either - that came on a bike I bought used, and it was even *worse* than the OEM Wiggins one, which is going some.

The lady I bought the bike off said that she felt the same about the Charge Ladles... :laugh:

DRM

Guru
Like the saddle that came with my Wiggins Rouen - made by Torquemada, I tell you... My poor bottom...

Swapped for a Charge Ladle and never looked back. My bottom is not a fan of narrow t-shaped saddles. It is also not a fan of the Selle SMP saddles either - that came on a bike I bought used, and it was even *worse* than the OEM Wiggins one, which is going some.

The lady I bought the bike off said that she felt the same about the Charge Ladles... :laugh:
This is it a saddle that suits me, would probably make the others curse, it really is a minefield, I know the saying goes it wouldn’t do for us all to be like the same, but saddle wise it would make life so much easier

andrew_s

Legendary Member
One piece of advice that doesn't seem to have surfaced yet...

If/when you find a saddle that suits, go out and get another as a spare as soon as you've decided the saddle is right for you.

If you don't, when the good saddle dies, you'll find that that model is no longer available, or has been replaced by a differently shaped version with same name, and you'll be back to square one.

Top Bottom