Comfiest road bike saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why is it still trial and error. Is there a more analytical way of measuring saddle shape so you can get closer to a comfy saddle quicker than "try and buy again"

vickster

Legendary Member
Why is it still trial and error. Is there a more analytical way of measuring saddle shape so you can get closer to a comfy saddle quicker than "try and buy again"
Doubt it

BigMeatball

Saddle on my road bike was not for me.
Went to Edinburgh bikes and got my seat bones measured :ohmy:
Nothing to worry about! Just sat on a wee gel cushion and they took the measurement and recommended a suitable saddle accordingly.
Sure enough chose a saddle in recommended size and found to be perfect, very comfy :smile:

Can you share more info, please?

What was the name of the place you went to? I googled 'Edinburgh bikes' but nothing specific came up. Only result that came up was 'Edinburgh bike fitting'....is this the place you went to?

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you share more info, please?

What was the name of the place you went to? I googled 'Edinburgh bikes' but nothing specific came up. Only result that came up was 'Edinburgh bike fitting'....is this the place you went to?
Edinburgh bike coop?
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/
Pretty much any Specialized dealer of note will have the measuring gauge however
Or you can sit on a bit of tinfoil on a step to get a sit bone width which is all the gauge does

Or you can sit on a bit of tinfoil on a step to get a sit bone width which is all the gauge does

That's what I did. A few sheets of kitchen paper folded into some tin foil, put it on the stairs, sat down on it and then measured the spacing of the dents.

It's not just about the width of the saddle, but also the shape. Everyone's bum is different.

vickster

Legendary Member
That's what I did. A few sheets of kitchen paper folded into some tin foil, put it on the stairs, sat down on it and then measured the spacing of the dents.

It's not just about the width of the saddle, but also the shape. Everyone's bum is different.
And not just buttocks, but also thighs and the errr bits in between

BigMeatball

Edinburgh bike coop?
https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/
Pretty much any Specialized dealer of note will have the measuring gauge however

Cheers for the suggestion.

I dropped them an email and they replied that they can actually measure sit bones a their shops and can advise on suitable saddles.

Very positively impressed by how fast they replied :okay:

And not just buttocks, but also thighs and the errr bits in between

Hmm, maybe I should have said "undercarriage" instead... :laugh:

Gekko21

Regular
I have the Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow on one of my bikes and find it very comfortable. My commute bike came with the 'man' version - less comfortable but bearable for the 3.5 miles each way that I do daily on it. Might check out the Charge though for that bike - I hadn't come across them before.

Johnno260

Veteran
I like the specialized one I have it's an Avatar I think, any saddle that comes with a bike I have found awful, I suppose it's easy to cheap out on.

Find a specialized dealer, use their buttomatic and get a trial saddle.

vickster

Legendary Member
I like the specialized one I have it's an Avatar I think, any saddle that comes with a bike I have found awful, I suppose it's easy to cheap out on.

Find a specialized dealer, use their buttomatic and get a trial saddle.
It's not foolproof though, I got measured, bought an £80 Specialized saddle in the correct size and it was awful (looked great on the bike though). So as above shape, and length are likely as important as width (which is a good start point as the other bits can't be measured so easily).

Johnno260

Veteran
It's not foolproof though, I got measured, bought an £80 Specialized saddle in the correct size and it was awful (looked great on the bike though). So as above shape, and length are likely as important as width (which is a good start point as the other bits can't be measured so easily).

True I may of been lucky, and saddles can be a sore subject, I was just trying to offer some guidance that worked for me but it's in no way a magic bullet.

BigMeatball

I've heard some companies let you try the saddle and you can exchange it at any time for another model until you find the one that meets your butt needs.

I think it's a good strategy that promotes brand loyalty because when you find a saddle you like, you tend to buy that and only that one for decades (or that's what I'd do :laugh: )

Top Bottom