"Coming through?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FOAD

Only had my road bike a couple of days, and only been commuting for a month so yesterday was the first time I overtook another cyclist (a peleton of several old boys on a hill so there was time to exchange a few words etc.).

Obviously to be taken from behind can be quite a shock (ooooerrrr missus :laugh:) so I was just wondering was there an accepted phrase as you begin to pass such as "on yer right" or "coming through" etc.?

I've found calling out can give people a bit of a fright and they are likely to wobble into your path. I just give them plenty of room and pass.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
before making a sound you have to think nonchalance, if there is any chance of your voice betraying your effort level, then remain quiet.

Having been on the receiving end of a cheery good morning, as they sail past me, as I'm busting a gut up hill, I can vouch for the devastating impact of this tactic.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
MacBludgeon said:
Having been on the receiving end of a cheery good morning, as they sail past me, as I'm busting a gut up hill, I can vouch for the devastating impact of this tactic.

I find for maximum effect coasting whilst overtaking gives the most pleasure for commuter racing especially if you add a cheery "morning" as you pass.

The chap I passed in all the gear up hill last week whilst I was on the fixed also looked a little perplexed :laugh:

grhm

Veteran
I tend to say nothing whilst I'm behind them - they're (probably) expecting traffic etc to overtake, so something overtaking isn't likely to be too much of a shock. However, a voice that is suddenly close behind with no previous warning can make them jump. They may then look back and/or vere to one side.

I do however, look across as I pass and either nod or say hello to be polite (unless it's one of the local school kids - said hi once or twice and they took it as a challenge to race me, jumping on and off pavements and swerving though traffic with no concern about pissing off the drivers of for their (and my!) safety)

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
I find for maximum effect coasting whilst overtaking gives the most pleasure for commuter racing especially if you add a cheery "morning" as you pass.

The chap I passed in all the gear up hill last week whilst I was on the fixed also looked a little perplexed :laugh:

Ah, so the fixed removes that coasting ability so you look less cool, knew there was a reason it suited you:evil:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
MacBludgeon said:
Ah, so the fixed removes that coasting ability so you look less cool, knew there was a reason it suited you:evil:

icon_nana.gif

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Don't say anything. Ensure that it appears you are making almost no effort. Don't breathe through your mouth while overtaking. Coasting is obviously a good idea, as is drinking or eating while overtaking, as long as you can keep your cool until you are far enough ahead to catch your breath.

You can glance at the person/ group you are overtaking but only if you are wearing mirror-finish cycling glasses.

yello

Difficult one, because you just don't know how the person you're overtaking may react. Common courtesy/safety might suggest you say something like 'to the right' or whatever but that can make a rider jump if they're not expecting you! Or they could be wearing earphones, not hear you and you assume they have! Or they might not know what 'to the right' means and themselves move right!

I used to weigh it up on a case-by-case situation (whilst hoping they turn down a different road!). If I can pass by with a comfortable amount of space then I'll say nothing... saying 'morning' or whatever if they look across as I pass. If I'm going to pass more closely and can't, or don't want to, hang back then I'd say something first.

Hont

Guru
From experience try and avoid saying anything whilst close behind. I've had roadies do that when on my mtb and I nearly jumped out of my skin.

If I'm on my road bike and pass someone, I wait until I'm alongside before saying anything. Normally 'morning' even if it's the afternoon, as I've kind of got into a habit.

Never speak to kids though.

Funny how no-one uses a bell these days.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I was cycling along at a fair pace (or so I thought!!!) the other day and a roadie suddenly apeared along side me from nowhere and said "bit of a headwind isnt there" first I nearly fell off, then I very nearly crapped myself I had no idea he was there and I have a mirror on my bike :biggrin: god knows where he came from.

Adrian_K

Über Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
The chap I passed in all the gear up hill last week whilst I was on the fixed also looked a little perplexed :biggrin:

considering where you're from, that's quite funny. I think I need to see photographic evidence of this 'hill'. ;)

re the OP, if I'm out at the w/e I can hear them coming. :biggrin:

In town, check you can, and then give them plenty of room. A polite 'excuse me' will often get drowned out by traffic.

stumpy

Yeah, My campag hub is the best warning system around.;) Also very disconcerting to free wheel passed someone:evil:. A bloke that I took over (by just giving him plenty of room as talking scares the c**p out of people usually IMO)earlier caught me up at a red light and asked if I had “a rocket up my arse” …………..Gave me a good warm feeling and a bit of a grin all the way home:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Greenbank

Über Member
HLaB said:
I've found calling out can give people a bit of a fright and they are likely to wobble into your path. I just give them plenty of room and pass.

It's quite possible they'll wobble into your path if you don't shout anything, which is why I always give people plenty of room when I pass.

Doing laps of Richmond Park it's interesting how close some of the roadies pass. They may be used to bunch riding but I'm not, and I really don't want to be taken out by someone if I do have to take any avoiding action just as they squeeze past.

Top Bottom