"Coming through?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Greenbank said:
It's quite possible they'll wobble into your path if you don't shout anything, which is why I always give people plenty of room when I pass.

Doing laps of Richmond Park it's interesting how close some of the roadies pass. They may be used to bunch riding but I'm not, and I really don't want to be taken out by someone if I do have to take any avoiding action just as they squeeze past.
Yip people can be unpredictable that's why I give them plenty of room when I pass and if I can't make a safe pass I wait; then I might make a polite 'excuse me' but I wait for their reaction before passing.

Randochap

Senior hunter
stumpy said:
Yeah, My campag hub is the best warning system around.:tongue:

Campag hubs are very quiet. Try a Phil Wood; they'll think the Chainsaw Killer is on their tail! Then there's Chris king. They sound like a swarm of killer bees!

The trick is to pass so fast that you are by before you get there, leaving the passee in the 20th century.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just wait till they clock you as you just pull past, and say hello....

I did something naughty on Sunday.....

Returning from an MTB ride, I saw a roadie (PS I'm what I'd call a roadie) struggling up a local steep hill, I breezed past with my big off road tyres whirring..... said "morning"....got a gasped "OK Mate"....so turned round whilst still accelerating...."I'm cheating today (I was spinning up the hill)...left the road bikes at home...!" - god he must have felt bad......:rofl:

snorri

Legendary Member
FOAD said:
so I was just wondering was there an accepted phrase as you begin to pass such as "on yer right" or "coming through" etc.?
If you don't know what to say just hold a mobile phone to your ear then the other cyclist will accept that you are unable to acknowledge his presence.:rofl:

stumpy

you could always take a book with you when on a ride and pull it out (so to speak) pretending to read it as you glide past them, looking up to nod at them at the appropriate moment:reading::rofl:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I have a new cycling ambition, I want to be overtaken by someone doing nonchalance to the extreme and have them come a cropper. Particularly good would be no hands then hitting a pothole, obviously no real damage desired, just humiliation.

Big John

Guru
Glide past riding no handed except for holding a copy of the comic in your right hand, chewing gum............

yenrod

fossyant said:
Just wait till they clock you as you just pull past, and say hello....

I did something naughty on Sunday.....

Returning from an MTB ride, I saw a roadie (PS I'm what I'd call a roadie) struggling up a local steep hill, I breezed past with my big off road tyres whirring..... said "morning"....got a gasped "OK Mate"....so turned round whilst still accelerating...."I'm cheating today (I was spinning up the hill)...left the road bikes at home...!" - god he must have felt bad......:ohmy:

One of THEE most satisfying things in life - p@ssing a roady off - on an MTB ! :rofl:

ASC1951

Guru
MacBludgeon said:
I have a new cycling ambition, I want to be overtaken by someone doing nonchalance to the extreme and have them come a cropper.
That'll be me, then.

I was crossing a dam on the road from Crowden over the Pennines to Holmfirth and found a small queue of traffic waiting for some roadwork lights and taking up the whole of what was left of the carriageway. I could see that there was nothing at the other end, so I cut in through the cones to 'head them off at the pass'. Unfortunately I hadn't spotted the orange string holding them together and went down in a heap festooned with plastic skittles.

My, how we all laughed! :blush:

Top Bottom