"Coming through?"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
oooh! what a bunch of smugginses we are! Well, here's a moral tale.

Somebody once said that if you wanted to organise resistance to an invasion then nobody knew the land better than the Cheam and Morden. Which is true, because some of us have Home Guard experience. So, one Sunday morning, there we are, pootling along, in our rather experienced way, and this young whippersnapper in Pearsons kit goes by without saying hello. We look at each other. This, we think, is a bit off. I go to the front, and set off after him, in a sort of half-hearted way. There's a voice from behind me 'Go on, Simon, get him!', and so I speed up, and pass him and he (the idiot) sets off in pursuit, but (hahahaha) after about a minute he blows up entirely, and is then passed by the entire Cheam and Morden operating as a silky smooth peloton with added bus passes...and then...we stop at a red light, and he joins us and sits on his bike pretending to be in some other time zone entirely, while there is much spluttering, and giggling, and a bit of cackling, and just a tiny bit of snickering....

So have a care....

Hont

Guru
fossyant said:
Returning from an MTB ride, I saw a roadie (PS I'm what I'd call a roadie) struggling up a local steep hill, I breezed past with my big off road tyres whirring..... said "morning"....got a gasped "OK Mate"....so turned round whilst still accelerating...."I'm cheating today (I was spinning up the hill)...left the road bikes at home...!" - god he must have felt bad......:blush:

Nah - when someone gloats, you just know they're compensating for something ;).

Hont

Guru
threefingerjoe said:
For the ultimate in cool, be sure you are smoking a cigarette, as you coast past them on a recumbent. Then, just to be friendly, offer them a cig!

Ignoring the sentence describing using a recumbant as cool, that's a good idea as they could then use you as an ashtray. ;):blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hont said:
Nah - when someone gloats, you just know they're compensating for something :sad:.

I wasn't gloating - I felt bad beating him....had I been on the road bike I'd have gone past at about twice the speed ;), and still said 'hello'...

KEEF

Veteran
It costs nothing to be polite so when two elderly ladies passed me last weekend in full lycra engaging in a flown blown conversation with each other and at twice my speed with a cheery "excuse me" a polite two fingered salute was my reply!

asterix

Comrade Member
phil_hg_uk said:
I was cycling along at a fair pace (or so I thought!!!) the other day and a roadie suddenly apeared along side me from nowhere and said "bit of a headwind isnt there" first I nearly fell off, then I very nearly crapped myself I had no idea he was there and I have a mirror on my bike :rolleyes: god knows where he came from.

..not Saturday, on the A19 just outside Easingwold by any chance?:tongue:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hont said:
Funny how no-one uses a bell these days.
I do :blush: That's how I alert peeps to the fact that I'm about to breeze past. Then I put my feet up on the handlebars, take out my newspaper and freewheel past. :smile:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Fnaar said:
I do :smile: That's how I alert peeps to the fact that I'm about to breeze past. Then I put my feet up on the handlebars, take out my newspaper and freewheel past. :blush:
while puffing on a cheroot, and pouring yourself a scotch and soda from the drinks cabinet?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
dellzeqq said:
while puffing on a cheroot, and pouring yourself a scotch and soda from the drinks cabinet?
Surely easiest and best done on a 'bent ?

Alternatively, a cup of tea/coffee - with saucer, of course xx( [must maintain standards y'know :laugh:]. Biscuit optional :tongue:

bellys

a mate of mine was over taking a guy on a step hill he was trying to be nice and said to the guy your nearly there keep going :laugh: the guy called him all sorts xx(:angry::tongue: he said he was still shouting and calling him a c:ohmy:ck all the way up the hill:8:

Dave5N

Über Member
If it's hazardous - 'on yer right' or if they loo like they know what they're doing, 'outside'.

Otherwise: 'morning/afternoon'

NEVER overtake someone without a cheery greeting.*

That's just plain rude.

*Caveat: unless you are on a training programme and seriously sticking to an affort level at the time. Or racing,of course.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there is always the Beryl Burton special. Ms Burton entered the 1967 Otley 12 hour championships, but the blazers weren't keen on seeing her there. So they started her off after the men, reasoning that she would simply toddle around by herself, and not be a nuisance. She set off two minutes after the favourite, a chap called Mike McNamara, who was, with hindsight, on a hiding to nothing. After 235 miles she passed poor McNamara, and reached across. 'Would you like a liquorice allsort?' she asked. McNamara thanked her, and she cruised on by.

He increased the men's national record by five miles to 276.52 miles. She increased the women's record to 277.25 miles. The more mathematically minded amongst you will spot the difference.

(with acknowledgments to 'A Spoke in the Wheel' by Les Woodland, published by Pelham Books, which is, by a stretch, the funniest book on cycling I've ever read).

Ian Johnson

fossyant said:
Just wait till they clock you as you just pull past, and say hello....

I did something naughty on Sunday.....

Returning from an MTB ride, I saw a roadie (PS I'm what I'd call a roadie) struggling up a local steep hill, I breezed past with my big off road tyres whirring..... said "morning"....got a gasped "OK Mate"....so turned round whilst still accelerating...."I'm cheating today (I was spinning up the hill)...left the road bikes at home...!" - god he must have felt bad......:thumbsup:
Your evil lol ,I once saw a MTB rider overtake a roadbike on a hill,although the hill was not that steep but it was quite long, to be fair the roadie in that case and in your case might have been on the last part of a 100 mile ride and very tired,who knows. I remember overtaking a MTB rider who was actually quite fast,when I passed he began to catch slightly and draft me,I started to hammer it more and just kept going,when I looked back about four or five minutes later he was gone! There is no way any MTB rider will get pass me ,never has and never will:evil:. Some try it on but I just give them that dont even think about it look.I accept other roadies may pass me occasionally,I can live with that :becool:

Top Bottom