Commencal, Are They Any Good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes. Quite good.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

mickle said:
Yes. Quite good.

The bikes I looked at had good brakes for the money but the transmission and forks were not as good as you'd get on a Specialized at the same price. So why would you want a Commencal over say a Specialized?

RedBike

Why would you want say an Audi over a Ford?

With MTBs the spec list isn't everything. Having the right geometry / setup will more than make up for having a lower spec transmission. There's no substitue for actually trying them.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

RedBike said:
There's no substitute for actually trying them.

Absolutely. The only problem is that the shop that stocks them has hardly any bikes in stock and doesn't have the bike I'm interested! I phoned them today and they said they could get my size from another bike then order one in for me, but that's no use to me. I wouldn't buy a bike unless I'd tried the actually bike I wanted in my size. It's a pity, they look interesting.

GaryA

Subversive Sage
Arnt they french?... if so...watch out for the front-brake-on-the-LHS syndrome a MTB i hired in mallorca a few years ago had this feature and its surprisingly difficult to adapt to -more difficult than LHDrive cars

02GF74

Über Member
Be careful with French and especially Italian bikes. They will surrender at the first sign of trouble.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

If the brakes were on the wrong side I'd just swap them round. Looking at them, I don't think the spec is that great for the money anyway. If I could try one it might be different but I'm not knocking myself out just to get a bike no one has heard of. I'm sure the RockHopper's just as good a bike, and better in many ways.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

martylaa said:
I'm going for the commencal tomorrow.

Have you ridden them? I saw Commencal and Genesis in a similar bracket, they seem to be coming from the same place as far as design philosophy. In the price bracket I'm looking at the Genesis bikes seem to offer better value. That and the fact that there are far more Genesis (Ridgback) dealers swung me towards Genesis.

I have no doubt that the likes of Specialized offer great bikes and service but I think it's a great idea to look at less well known brands. I'm hoping I can find a bike a love rather than one that just gets the job done.

Top Bottom