1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commencal, Are They Any Good?

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by Mr Pig, 10 May 2008.

1. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

I was in a shop called Magic Cycles today who stock bikes by a French company called Commencal. I've never heard of them, are they any good?

2. Yes. Quite good.

3. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

The bikes I looked at had good brakes for the money but the transmission and forks were not as good as you'd get on a Specialized at the same price. So why would you want a Commencal over say a Specialized?

4. RedBike

RedBike New Member

Why would you want say an Audi over a Ford?

With MTBs the spec list isn't everything. Having the right geometry / setup will more than make up for having a lower spec transmission. There's no substitue for actually trying them.

5. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

Absolutely. The only problem is that the shop that stocks them has hardly any bikes in stock and doesn't have the bike I'm interested! I phoned them today and they said they could get my size from another bike then order one in for me, but that's no use to me. I wouldn't buy a bike unless I'd tried the actually bike I wanted in my size. It's a pity, they look interesting.

6. MichaelM

MichaelM Veteran

7. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

Too far away. I wouldn't buy a bike without trying it first. A Specialized RockHopper is top of my list now.

8. ransos

ransos Legendary Member

They love 'em on singletrackworld.co.uk

9. GaryA

GaryA Subversive Sage

Arnt they french?... if so...watch out for the front-brake-on-the-LHS syndrome a MTB i hired in mallorca a few years ago had this feature and its surprisingly difficult to adapt to -more difficult than LHDrive cars

10. 02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

Be careful with French and especially Italian bikes. They will surrender at the first sign of trouble.

11. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

If the brakes were on the wrong side I'd just swap them round. Looking at them, I don't think the spec is that great for the money anyway. If I could try one it might be different but I'm not knocking myself out just to get a bike no one has heard of. I'm sure the RockHopper's just as good a bike, and better in many ways.

12. martylaa

martylaa New Member

13. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

Have you ridden them? I saw Commencal and Genesis in a similar bracket, they seem to be coming from the same place as far as design philosophy. In the price bracket I'm looking at the Genesis bikes seem to offer better value. That and the fact that there are far more Genesis (Ridgback) dealers swung me towards Genesis.

I have no doubt that the likes of Specialized offer great bikes and service but I think it's a great idea to look at less well known brands. I'm hoping I can find a bike a love rather than one that just gets the job done.

14. KINGCUTTER

KINGCUTTER Well-Known Member

And the winner of the gold medal downhill won on one so i read in cycling weekly in Tesco today.

15. Mr Pig

Mr Pig New Member

Gota love the underdog eh? :0)