Committing to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have the same distance commute and do it most days of the year. The biggest adjustment by far is the time factor.

The car drive is about 30 minutes. With the bike it can be 90 minutes plus, if you factor in showers or god forbid, mechanicals.

OP
OP

2wd Dirt Rider

Regular
Well today at work was brutal and i definitely wouldn't of wanted to cycle home.
I guess making the journey will have to be well planned with workload.

mustang1

Guru
That's my commute, 12 miles each way. I used to ride a road bike, medium to full gas, and shower at each end.

Then I figured those showers, no matter how quickly I could take them, still end up taking an unusually long time and always added at least 20 minutes to the journey.

And then...

I started using the e-bike. Don't get the same exercise but I also don't get sweaty and can save time on the shower. It's still fun but I would rather have a lifestyle where I have time to shower and use the road bike instead.

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited:
Well today at work was brutal and i definitely wouldn't of wanted to cycle home.

Hiya and good effort :bravo:

I do 4miles, train,11-13miles (quieter route is longer) ,work,11miles (downhill on the busy short bit), train, 4miles on a road bike; but my job is desk based nd I work from home at least 3 days a week.

Slick

Guru

I don't know what you do for a living, but I do know that I had about as physical a job as you could get and my working days were measured by daylight availability rather than a watch and I can honestly say, I wouldn't have wanted to cycle there or back. I since got a very easy desk based job, and loved my 15 mile each way commute. I know what its like to have a tough job when you need every ounce of energy to get through the day. Good luck with it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you work in a manual job, cycling 12 miles each way will just be a warm up. It shouldn't tax you particularly if you are already able to ride off road for 50miles.

Before working from home I used to do a similar commute, and after the first week or so it never tired me at all.

indeed
i have a manual job and do 10 miles each way on shifts so last night i rode home at about 12.30 am
Just factor in extra energy for doing it , if your tapped out at the end of shift already you might find the ride home harder work.You dont need much extra to food your body but its a factor .
carrying stuff will also be something you need to look at , backpack etc .I prefer panniers as i always carry a pump, spare innertubes and tools .Add to that i always carry a light jacket and leg covers and feet covers even mid summer as you never know what the weather could be doing from the start to the end of the day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom