Common Sense, & The Lack Of.............

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Richard A Thackeray, 12 Aug 2019.

1. It's very similar to a fell-race 'series' that I used to do
    There was a very short briefing, as we had to cross a public 'B' road
    Marshalls stopped the traffic on the 'out', but most drivers would stop anyway, with 300-400 crazies running at them!!

The words concerned the 'back' & crossing the same road

"If You Get Run Over..". (chorus of runners voices finished it off )"It's Your Own Fault!!"

Dave Woodhead, & the Woodentops races
    (Stanbury Splash, Withins, Stoop, Auld Lang Syne)

2. swansonj

swansonj Guru

So, I'm now curious. Does that mean that we also invoice:
    Smokers when they get lung cancer
    Drinkers when they fall over
    Overweight people when they need joint replacements sooner than they would otherwise do
    Pretty much all of us when we don't put enough sunscreen on and subsequently get skin cancer?

C R likes this.
  3. Some NHS trusts do ask/require patients to lose weight before certain surgeries

'Drunk tanks'/treatment away from A&Es, also happen

DCBassman likes this.
  4. Hicky

Hicky Veteran

There's many instances for hospitals not doing heart surgery unless commitment to stopping smoking(Wythenshawe hospital was one of the more marxist). Its nothing new.
    Abusive people are turned away irrespective of the intoxication, drink/drugs etc.

classic33 likes this.
  5. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Footballers who tear their ACLs or break their legs
    Rugby players who dislocate their shoulders
    Hikers or ramblers who slip and hurt themselves
    Kids who fall off bikes, out of trees or just fall over generally
    Adult cyclists who fall off bikes
    Mountain bikers who ride into a tree...
    Swimmers who get ear infections requiring prescription medication?

Profpointy, swansonj and C R like this.
  6. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

You forgot to include cyclists that don't wear a helmet... :whistle:

Dave7 and Profpointy like this.
  7. vickster

that's one side of the argument

8. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Legendary Member

I suspect things are heading that way.

As the pressures on the NHS - finite funds, infinite demands - grow inexorably, not least on account of an ageing population, 'something will have to give'. And my guess would be that crucial decisions will begin to reflect an ethical element, the crux being whether or not people are 'bringing it on themselves' not through bad luck, but through deliberate, entirely avoidable, behaviour, which is likely or certain to damage them.

'Through no fault of his/her own' covers slipping hikers, dislocated rugby players and kids who fall out of trees, but not people returning to hospital again and again because they refuse to stop smoking, drinking too much, or stuffing their faces with Doritos. The NHS is hanging on by its fingernails as it is; the days when it would cover people bent on self-destruction are surely numbered.

9. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Having been classed/marked as "non-compliant* earlier this year has left me open to being billed for all treatment received.

*"Non-compliant" because at least one of the medications or combinations tried over the years "should have had some effect". I was born with the condition, thereby ruling out anything I did or didn't do as the cause.

Now more hesitant than ever about seeking medical help as a result. The next letter may just be a bill for treatment.

10. Hicky

Hicky Veteran

We managed to create the NHS and fund a huge housing project when the country was on its arse. The NHS is hanging on in many ways by the misuse of its population leading to nurses/docs dealing with morons and dependants. The gov has given a time delayed kick in the nuts to the NHS by cutting the bursary for nursing. 25% min of staff are made up by either bank or agency staff at easily double the cost....figure the common sense in that. If its a known shitty shift the post won't get filled.
    Something has caused the nation generally speaking to become very self important(possibly claim culture pushing the "am I getting the best for me") and losing a simple element of care for others, I don't see things improving....gloom mood is now switched off.

C R likes this.
  11. midlife

midlife Guru

Just curious how they would send you a bill. There is no mechanism at work for me to send a bill for anything.... Free at the point of delivery and all that.

12. vickster

I would say people choose to play rugby, football, other contact sports knowing that there is a risk of injury. And if they don’t know that risk exists, one could argue they are moronic. Other high risk activities could encompass riding motorcycles at speeds above 70mph on road or track for example.

And no one is forced to climb a tree as needing to escape a chasing alligator for example is pretty rare in the U.K.

13. classic33

I'm assuming any bill would come from a central office. The medication being paid for at point of collection.

14. vickster

You’re right here though. People want to live longer and that costs even if they follow a what is considered healthy lifestyle. And that’s not only expensive for the NHS but elderly care in its widest sense.

Encouraging people to stop smoking for example not only reduces revenue from fag tax but encourages longevity ;)

:evil:

15. classic33

Unless you're in Birmingham
    https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/black-country/bid-keep-dangerous-crocodile-submitted-15691808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice