Common Sense, & The Lack Of.............

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Richard A Thackeray, 12 Aug 2019.

1. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

And he was just sat there, minding his own business. Never say it'll never happen.

2. Hicky

Hicky Veteran

Reading some of the comments here, project fear ref the NHS is working well.

3. Crackle

Crackle Squatter

What you describe is exactly what we want to avoid. A lot of German healthcare is still publicly funded, the NHS is cheaper. The German system has some advantages and disadvantages, however no private health care system will cover palliative care, which is arguably the most expensive care you need at a stage of life when you really can't afford to do without.

And once you start making judgements on lifestyle, well you're on the slippery slope to nowhere, far better to tackle those issues in a different way and not have the NHS as judge and jury.

gbb, Brains, vickster and 1 other person like this.
  4. Plus, on a track, there's generally a lot of run-off area; grass/gravel
    Public roads don't tend to have them, just kerbs/walls/lamp-posts/etc....

Hence one reason why riders die at the TT, & not normally on race-tracks
    (Nürburgring exepted!)

5. Nigeyy

Nigeyy Guru

It's definitely a slippery slope of where you draw the line.... Though living in the States* and seeing more of the costs involved I'd certainly be more keen on passing on part of the bill to people who display stupidity. I really don't see why the NHS should pay for destructive behaviour, and sadly I think some people in the UK take the NHS far, far, far too much for granted for what it is. Of course, it's how you determine what's stupid and destructive behaviour, and how you measure when you think it is appropriate to charge, and how much?

However, I see the other side to the argument, and I do feel an unease that medical or emergency responses are liable to be billed. I also completely take the point of where do you draw the line? As others have mentioned, charge someone who has cancer who smoked? But I can't help feel the model of providing care with absolutely no strings attached does bring up some questions: is it implicitly encouraging irresponsible behaviour? ("I don't care if I get pissed up and fall over, I can just go to hospital anyway") or since health and emergency care are finite limited resources, would you be OK with a close relative not being able to get a much needed operation or not getting a prescription because the budget has been blown on treating people who get drunk every weekend and require attention? Or that person walking up Snowden in flip flops who wasn't made to think twice about their choice means the rescue helicopter can't get to your kid?

*some states can and will bill you for a rescue: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nh-bills-lost-hikers-for-cost-of-rescue/

Brains likes this.
  6. DCBassman

DCBassman Veteran

That's actually the major point the world over. The population MUST stop growing. Soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice