Common sense

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Popped up on my Facebook feed, I’ll just leave it here.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's that why firefighters day uniform is dark blue polo shirts and black trousers?

In any case, the "without" photo has clearly been doctored, or the subject has covered her face and legs in cam cream. You'd think they'd check before blindly tweeting a photoshopped picture.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The Buckingham Fire Station would add value to this message (have they a role in promoting conspicuity btw) if they sourced an image of an English street and 'zebra' crossing. What about that black car in the shade?

Drago

Legendary Member
Everything else shows up in both images without any assistance from hi vis, so why have they blacked out the woman in the second image but not everything else that can be plainly seen? The worrying thing is that people see stuff like this and believe it as gospel.

Indeed, looking at the vehicles the photo is at least 3 decades old. That being the case, the hi vis clothing is itself probably a photoshop.

So considering the clear falseness of the images, im curious as to where does the common sense come it?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
They've blacked themselves up - it's probably Justin Trudeau on his way to a party.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It's that why firefighters day uniform is dark blue polo shirts and black trousers?

In any case, the "without" photo has clearly been doctored, or the subject has covered her face and legs in cam cream. You'd think they'd check before blindly tweeting a photoshopped picture.
You have a very valid point about the photoshopping on these pictures. They are trying to put across a no brainer of an idea and have managed to totally cock it up. Wearing brighter gear, will get you seen earlier. That is unless you subscribe to the fact that 99% of the time, drivers are not looking. Personally, I ride around looking like technicolour dream. I have made a new drybag this morning 😁

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Same post appeared in my feed and got ripped a new one for the blacking-up. #BeSafeDontBlackUp and so on

The reason they use doctored images is because it turns out that most non-ninjas are pretty easy to see and most of the problem is incompetent drivers, whether phoney, drunk/drugged, distracted or simply not wearing their glasses or not clearing their windscreen. But it's easier to spread the message that the children or parents are to blame.

And recent research suggests being seen earlier can lead to SMIFAY (Sorry Mate I Forgot About You - rather than SMIDSY) although few admit that directly because it's not as accepted as SMIDSY (yet?).

This is my kind of public information film. Classic

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1MFuSMz1zh0

The 1970s called and wants its government-funded victim-blaming back.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Fair point. Get yourself seen, wear hi vis, put lights on your bike...why do we never see such campaigns promoting "motorists - look where you're bleeding well going"?

A campaign exhorting females not to go out at night or not to wear short skirts would meet with outrage and derision, and quite rightly so, yet it's still acceptable to treat potential victims of road crime in that manner.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Fair point. Get yourself seen, wear hi vis, put lights on your bike...why do we never see such campaigns promoting "motorists - look where you're bleeding well going"?
Because they're a bit shoot and take a bizarrely soft approach to the perpetrator and a hard line with the victims. I think this is the latest government film against phoney driving. It tells people not to look at their phones more than it tells them to look at the road. I bet no-one will be posting this in 40 years like the cyclist blaming ugly mac one above.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LLh1oZ6JbvA

Top Bottom