Commute Advice - South Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mancaus

My wife wants to start cycling to work, from Heaton Moor to the city centre (York St). I've been cycling that way for a few years, but haven't found any route that really avoids the trickier parts of the A6 and A34.

I've considered two:
- A6, turn left just past McVities, then right past Cringle Fields, left onto Fallowfield loop, then A34.
- Fallowfield loop again, but cut through the student halls etc via Ladybarn lane, then across to Oxford Rd, then... ?

Does anyone know of a better route?

Thanks

biking_fox

Guru
Not quite sure where York street is, but I ride to the Uni north campus close ot picadilyl and cnetre. Depends on what you mean by better.

I ride the A6 from stockport upto plymouth grove then across onto the A34 (upper brook st) to the North uni campus. It's a fast efficient and safe route - as long as you're paying attention. The road is wide, cars are practically all (see paying attention) going int he same direction as you, and mostly stuck in jams os they arne't going at speed. The surfaces are good, pedestrians mostly (see paying attention) stay out of it, although there are a lot of lights. But I wouldn't class it as fun.

When it's sunny. You can take the fallowfield loop NORTH then the N6 to Ashton canal, which brings you out at picadilly. But it's longer, glassier, more overgrown, muddier, slower (and fun). Not ideal for going to work, but OK coming home.

The UNi have a cycleride scheme and their horrible contrived route starts near heaton moor, illegally rides across the golf course, does the loop, then picks its way across back streets. It's very slow includes footpath (not bridleway) full of junctions counter intuative, long and very slow. But keeps insecure riders feeling happy. the details are probably on the web.

OP
OP
M

mancaus

Thanks... I think I found the uni route you're referring to here. You're right that the golf course is a no-go. It also dumps you on Oxford Road.

I don't like Longsight - too many cars diving around, and peds, and the run from there to Plymouth Grove is not great either.

I'm still thinking A6 past McVities, then left to Cringle Fields, Fallowfield loop to Fallowfield (by the Kwikfit, avoiding the double-roundabouts), then A34 to the Manc way and then the cycle path to Sacville St. Back along there is more dangerous because of queueing cards on Upper Brook St and cars turning right across the baseline further out, but it's the best I can find.

Thanks for your help.

Schneil

Veteran
I regularly commute from Heaton Chapel, whereabouts in Heaton Moor are you? What time roughly will the Mrs be cycling into work? There is quite a difference in traffic speeds and amount on the A6 and A34 at different times of day. Also I'd be happy to cycle into Manchester on the A6, but not home as the hill is against you. The Northbound Levenshulme section of the A6 (Broom Lane to Albert Road) is a nightmare. I didn't use it at 7:00am this Sunday morning!
Oh and I do know the UMBUG guys. Is the section of the ride across the golf course not a right of way?

biking_fox

Guru
Is the section of the ride across the golf course not a right of way?
No. Well it is a public right of way - a footpath. Which means no vehicles, no bikes, no horses. Pedestrian traffic only. No-one seemed to care on the one occasion I rode with them, so I've chosen not to do so again. This probably isn't the right place to be discussing it, but :scratch:

OP
OP
M

mancaus

I ran in today via the golf course. The gates are the type they normally use to allow bicycles, but prevent motorbikes. I guess it might be accepted, even if it is a footpath. Not great in the dark though.

400bhp - getting to Mauldeth road isn't too hard via Leegate Road... but what back routes do you suggest? Down Erwood road to the Fallowfield loop, or further west?

Schneil - we're near the station on the Heaton Moor side. Time would be around 7:15 on the way in and 2:30pm on the way out. I know what you mean about the A6/A34, but it depends on what speed you're capable of. On my commuting hybrid I avoid the A6, but on the road bike, keeping up with traffic, it feels much better.
Thanks again.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not an A6 fan myself - I only use it from near Heatons (Wills Wheels) to Levenshulme station then A34. Has something to do with a few years commuting into manchester on the A6 and doing a superman impression at 25mph when left hooked by a van. Too many side roads.

I regularly use the A34 from Parrs Wood right through to Manchester - it's not too bad, but I am making 'progress' - certainly the recommended bike routes via the back of Rusholme are very pleasant.

I have ridden over the golf course on a bike to work day - you'd just need a powerful light first thing in the morning. It is a right of way.

Avoid the A6 (from town to Heaton Moor, it's better the other way), it's just horrible.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Give it a try. Personally I wouldn't be riding down the back lanes of Levenshulme and Longsight - miles 2-4 on the route. Not the nicest of areas.

Edwards80

Über Member
Give it a try. Personally I wouldn't be riding down the back lanes of Levenshulme and Longsight - miles 2-4 on the route. Not the nicest of areas.

I'll second that. Probably something to do with having some guys throwing stones/bricks at me whilst I was going through Longsight once. Not kids either. They were at least 18.

Schneil

Veteran
Hi Mancaus

I'd avoid backroads of Longsight and Lenvenshulme as well. That jusnction with Plymouth Grove is pretty horrid.
At 7:30am I'd go down Errwood, use the Fallowfield loop. Come out on Kingsway, turn right at the second roundabout onto Birchfields.
Take Birchfields/Anson Rd/Upper Brook Street as far as the Manc way and then rejoin your route under the Manc way flyover.

If your Mrs doesn't like multi lane busy roads (upper brook street - I've never done it at 7:30am though!), she can do a left onto Dover street, then turn right bike path that runs North between uni buildings. It takes you all the way to the contraflow on Grosvenor street and then to the Manc way.

Going home I'll have a think and get back to you. The section of Anson Road by the hospital will be clogged up with parked cars at this time. Is the Mrs quite an assertive and fast cyclist?

OP
OP
M

mancaus

She has good bike handling but is really a beginner when it comes to riding in traffic. With a bit of confidence, who knows how assertive/fast she will get, so we're keen to ease into it.

I didn't know they'd done the contra-flow on Grosvenor St - it doesn't appear on Google's sat maps yet. With that the route makes a lot of sense, especially since you can join it direct from the Fallowfield loop via Ladybarn Lane. Another one for us to check out, as well as the Dover St option.

Thanks again all.

Top Bottom