Commute bike gets less cool as time goes on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My fixed commuter started off nice and simple, with knobbly 'cross tyres which made a cool humming noise when I rode.

Then it got some nice sensible 28 mm slicks.

Then a hub dynamo and some mudguards.

A mirror.

Fat Brooks saddle replaced slim white Specialized Toupe.

Just put a rack on it.

I'm going to have to put together a less sensible commute bike for when it isn't dark and/or wet and I don't have much luggage.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I know the feeling, mine has just gained a rack and panniers....:ohmy:

potsy

Rambler
Signs of getting old I'm afraid guys:biggrin:
My Secteur started as a nice light racing bike,it now has-
Mirror-
Bar Bag-
mudguards-
Durano+ tyres-
Soon will have a Charge Knife saddle too.

Davidc

Guru
I've had those things on my tourer/ commute/ utility bikes since I was in my teens - nothing wrong with them.

Difference was that then I used to take them off to go on time trials and fast rides.

Then later I had a fast road bike (then always called a racing bike) as well.

Now I have two bikes and both have the hub dynamo, rack, etc. etc.

And now I don't take them off.

And I don't do time trials.

And I don't go fast.

Potsy's right - it's a sign of having got old!

Im keeping my fixie on the lightweight side and have re-classified it as my summer bike...All it has gained is a car horn.No mudguards and a greentyre on the back.

The Dawes Audax 2006 is my winter commuting bike now.
The Dawes Audax 2007 is a spare and will be fitted with panniers for the heavier stuff.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
The Olympic motto is "Citius, Altius, Fortius" (Faster, Higher, Stronger").

the commuting bike motto is "Slower, Heavier, Comfier" I reckon.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
potsy said:
Signs of getting old I'm afraid guys:biggrin:
QUOTE]

nope, its a sign of getting serious... and not really caring about the shallow aesthetic, but considering the day to day practicality.

oh, ok, its old as well;)

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
As I seemed to be one of the younger ones on the London Sunday ride out I decided to act like it and removed the rack and bag for commuting and I've no mudguards either (because I need to get 700x23s rather than 25s). Now I ride like a roadie with my clothes for work tucked in my jersey pocket.

No chance this'll last but it's fun and light whilst the weather is yummy.

Im feeling good again on the bike and im seriously considering riding fixie to Southend...I had this idea before a few years back.It's about 40 miles...and possibly a ride back.I wonder if I could get my first fixie "ton" ever.

HaloJ said:
I've no mudguards either (because I need to get 700x23s rather than 25s).

You could get raceblade mudguards...I used to have a clearence problem on my Cannondale so I got half mudguards.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
hackbike 666 said:
You could get raceblade mudguards...I used to have a clearence problem on my Cannondale so I got half mudguards.

I'm changing out the brake calipers first to 105s which apparently gives a little more clearence and if that's still not enough I'll change the tyres to 23s when they wear out. General concensus in the secteur owners club is that I;ll be going the 23s route soon enough.

Abs

Losidan

HaloJ said:
Now I ride like a roadie with my clothes for work tucked in my jersey pocket.

Pack your clothes into a muzzette then you could pick them up racer style from a family member en route at a layby:smile:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
my commuter and my hack have always had biggish tyres(700x35) and racks. My hybrid, original commuter and now weekender, started out with 700x35's, lightish 28/24h wheelset, rack and guards and morphed into 700x23's, no rack and no guards. It has now morphed again and has 700x32(though not the heavy M+'s), handbuilt 36h wheelset, lighter clip on trekking guards and a rack.

The weight penalty is 3-4lbs, the difference in average speeds over 20-30 miles is negligible. Acceleration and climbing are impacted but this is outweighed by the increase in comfort and convenience of a rack.

Fortunately I am such and innately uncool person that these changes have no impact on my 'cool' status:biggrin:

Top Bottom