Commute from East London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclerob

I was just wondering if anyone knew a decent but quiet route from Wanstead side of East London to Shoreditch?
Me and my friend are looking to make the switch from our two seperate cars each morning and evening to becoming cycling pals.. FIRST POST! :smile:

Thanks!

The Horse's Mouth

Proud to be an Inverted snob!
take a look at the www.sustrans.org.uk website. It gives a number of routes. I would suggest you might find a route along the canals.

OP
OP
C

cyclerob

Thanks was looking to join the canals at victoria park and then come out by the A12/Eastcross route.
Thanks for the quick response!

Lee_M

Guru
That is my commute

Go through Victoria park an then either go down bethnal green road or go down regents canal

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I come into London from south of the river, so cant help you on specific routes. But most people will experiment with a few different routes until they find the ones that suit them depending on time of day, weather and traffic. So my advice is try a few routes out and see which ones you are comfortable with.

Lee_M

Guru
what route do you take from wanstead to Victoria park though?
Thanks

now there is the question - they're all a bit crap

I go past leytonstone tube and over the cycle/ped bridge by the car park, follow the cycle route down to leyton and through the crappy one way route (Grove Green Road and ruckholt Road) - its rubbish but so busy the traffic is stationary and not too much of a problem
From there you can either avoid the horrible eastway roundabout system and head past hackney marshes, turn onto Lee Conservancy Road and back onto the Eastway, or you can go across the roundabout and go up the eastway past the olympic site - I assume it is no longer blocked off now.

Either way will bring you out on the corner of Victoria Park

If theres a better way I havent found it - you can go more round the leytonstone backstreets - but then you have loads of speed bumps, but theres no way to avoid the eastway generally, but most traffic is reasonable, and there are some parts that are spearate cycle lanes - but they do tend to run out and rejoin the road

OP
OP
C

cyclerob

Thank you, i agree it does seem very crappy for routes from our part of town to Victoria park! ill let you know how i get on come friday :smile: thanks for the responses!

Lee_M

Guru
no problem, I'll be doing it tomorrow (work away mon-wed), I'll be the old bloke on the really heavy claud butler hybrid!

OP
OP
C

cyclerob

haha and ill be the unfit 20 year old gasping for breath on my dads mountain bike hahaha! With my best mate somewhere within 10 metres also struggling on his brothers bike! Probably wont be able to miss us, were doing our first commute friday though

Take care mate!

Do take it easy around the Grove Green Road/Warren Rd one way as it's often heavy traffic with poor door-zone cycle lanes. I've seen the novices/experts alike underatke at speed and have problems.

Top Bottom