Commute from Surbiton to London Waterloo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I won't know about the parking situation until later this year. I will be studying at university part of the time and for the remainder, working or visiting London schools (locations currently unknown). For various reasons I favour a folding bike for the daily commute, although to be honest I've never ridden one any distance.

I thought a lot about getting a Brompton or similar...also test rode the kalkoff electric assist bikes. Each time I was looking at a solution that would allow me to commute every single day (I can only manage 3 at most right now due to the distance and my fitness)

I quickly discounted the elec bikes as they just didn’t do what i wanted (i cruise at around 20mph and the elec assist bikes actually start to hinder you when they reach 15mph...its a legal thing apparently)

But, Brompton’s look really good.

In town they are very popular and have a bit of a cult following, its considered quite trendy to carry a folding bike to your desk these days! They also go at a very good rate (I cant keep up with some…even on my big wheeled bike)...but I do think you will need to research the correct gearing...somebody can correct me but I think the older ones have less gears ...or something.

There’ll be a proper Brompton rider along in a while who can advise you.

OP
OP
B

bedrock

Regarding the Yeah/Dahon bike that I previously mentioned, I have now found a stockist and more complete description, including bike weight of 12.5kg. At just £158 this will leave me plenty to change any bits I want upgraded. What do you think?

Folded Size : 32 x 66 x 75 cm

Folding Time : 12 seconds

Suggested Rider Height : 140 cm - 190 cm

Max Rider Weight : 105 kg

Bike Weight : 12.5 kg

Frame and Fork YRA061

Frame : 20" Y type, Alloy frame,

TIG welded w/ pivot, Dahon patented ViseGrip™

Latch system and Re-Bar™ frame technology

Fork : Hi-tensile, curved blade w/ pivot

Cockpit

Handlepost : Integrated, Dahon patented design,

non-adjustable with handlebar

Headset : 1 1/8" CP

Grips : PVC 120mm Black

Saddle : Comfort Black

Seatpost : Super oversize, 6061 aluminum, silver

Seat clamp QR : Alloy clamp w/ QR silver

Seat post bushing : Aluminum

Brakes

Brakes : ProMax,Alloy V-Brake front & rear

Brake lever : ProMax,Aluminum lever and bracket

Brake cable and Casing : 2P Black

Wheels

Front hub : Aluminum, 5/16"x14Gx28H, silver

Rear hub : Aluminum, 3/8"x14Gx28H, silver

Spokes : 14 G, stainless steel

Rims : Aluminum, 20"*1.5"*14G*28H

Tires : Kenda, K-193, 20" x 1.5" black

Transmission

Shifter : Shimano SL- TX50-6R

Derailleur : Shimano Tourney

Freewheel : Shimano 6 speed, 14-28T

Casing : 2P Black

Crankset : Cold-forged aluminum cranks, double chain guard

Bottom bracket : 5 piece set w/ axle

Chain : KMC Z30

Pedals : Suntour, folding

OP
OP
B

bedrock

.but I do think you will need to research the correct gearing...somebody can correct me but I think the older ones have less gears ...or something.

There’ll be a proper Brompton rider along in a while who can advise you.

Lack of gears wouldn't bother me as I used to ride fixed and that was in a hilly area.

I might however be tempted to change to a close ratio block.

suecsi

Be careful with the size of the wheels on South West trains (which will cover Surbiton, if you go for a multi modal commute).

South West trains policy during the rush hour is folding bikes with 16" wheels only (which is mainly Bromptons, though I am sure there are others). Other folders with larger wheels do get on at crowded stations sometimes (my experience is Twickenham, though I get on with my Brommie before that) - but you'll get dirty looks and frankly, though other folders may or may not have a better ride/be cheaper, you can't beat the Brompton for overall folded package. Also train staff are used to seeing them, and know they conform to the regs, whereas with others they would be more likely to question it.

On the suburban loop routes, which start and end at Waterloo, the trains aren't nearly as crowded, and while the regs are still strictly there, they aren't much enforced.

Surbiton station is extremely busy though, with longer distance services and the train will very crowded already in the rush hour.

I have an M3L but do the common Brompton multi modal commute of only a few miles each end. I have no hills, so never use 1st gear, use 2nd for setting off, and then 3rd (or it might be the other way round, it has no markings!) for cruising on the flat.

If you look at the Brompton forums on Yahoo there are plenty of discussions about gears and settings but its beyond me I'm afraid.

OP
OP
B

bedrock

Be careful with the size of the wheels on South West trains (which will cover Surbiton, if you go for a multi modal commute).

South West trains policy during the rush hour is folding bikes with 16" wheels only (which is mainly Bromptons, though I am sure there are others). Other folders with larger wheels do get on at crowded stations sometimes (my experience is Twickenham, though I get on with my Brommie before that) - but you'll get dirty looks and frankly, though other folders may or may not have a better ride/be cheaper, you can't beat the Brompton for overall folded package. Also train staff are used to seeing them, and know they conform to the regs, whereas with others they would be more likely to question it.

Thanks for the very valuable information. Presumably the restriction doesn't apply if the bag is biked, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have only considered 20" folders so far as I was hoping for a better ride quality, and hopefully I won't be taking it on the train too much. Can anyone here compare 16/20" wheels?

As for Brompton, I've checked the price and don't think I can justify it at the moment, although I agree they are probably a better buy.

OP
OP
B

bedrock

South West trains policy during the rush hour is folding bikes with 16" wheels only ................

Since reading your post I've been doing some research and found this:

The Association of Train Operating Companies (ATOC) have since said this was an error, and what they actually meant was that only machines with 20in or smaller wheels would be regarded as folders, with anything over 20in regarded as a full-size bicycle.

However, when we contacted them for clarification they did a complete U-turn, with their senior media relations officer telling us: "After listening to passenger feedback, I'm pleased to say that there are no restrictions on the wheel size of fold-up bicycles." ATOC say the wording in the brochure is being revised and will clarify that "folding bikes can be carried for free at any time on the rail network".

http://www.bikeradar.com/COMMUTING/news/article/u-turn-on-british-train-ban-for-folding-bikes-28151/

and here:

http://www.atob.org.uk/Bike_Rail_2.html

OP
OP
B

bedrock

I just read that the Yeah model I was interested in folds down to 32cm wide (the transport limit is 30cm).

South west trains now say small folding bikes without clarifying. That Yeah bike would be fine. No one is out with a tape measure. Your real problem will be not being able to board - at least that's what happens at Richmond. But that's also happened to me without a bike. I'm not sure what surbiton is like in this respect. I've certainly never seen a guard or station staff take the remotest interest in any folding bike. And fellow passengers are pretty forgiving if you are open and helpful - ie when the train gets more crowded, I point out to people that my bike is there, make sure they watch their ankles, fold in the pedals etc. I don't think this makes any practical difference, but people respond to the I'm aware of them and the inconvenience. And when it's so crowded that people can't reach the handrail and have to lean on another passenger if the train brakes, that's important.

Take the Yeah on a test drive. If you enjoy riding it and will have room for it in your luggage, I'd buy it. Remember finding a suitcase that will take the squarish shape of a folding bike can prove expensive, and may break size limits. If you are shipping a crate, then that's probably not an issue.

Oh, and I've done (as I keep saying) 2000 miles on a 16" bike this year. They're ok

OP
OP
B

bedrock

Just got back from the bike shop after a lengthy run (the traffic was chock-a-block) and bus ride home.

The rain was torrential (think tropical rainstorm) when I arrived at the shop so unfortunately there was no chance of taking any bike out for a test ride. However, a quick jump on one of the 16" Yeah bikes and "spin" around the shop confirmed that the geometry was wrong for me. Basically, it felt far too short and there was no way this could be changed. They had a 20" Dahon bike which felt much better but cost twice the price.

The Yeah bike was fitted out with much cheaper looking components than the Dahon but to be honest that is what I'd expect with a bike for less than 180 pounds. The weight wasn't bad (about 12kg) and the frame was similar to the Dahon albeit the paint and welds looked inferior. I'd say it wasn't bad for the price and looked like it might last with some tender care.

I've now decided to hold off with a purchase until I return to the UK (not long now) and maybe try out a Brompton and hopefully pick one up second hand. I'll strip down and fix up an old and very heavy mountain bike I have in the shed as a temporary bike to commute in to work. At least it is cheap and will give me plenty of exercise.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and suggestions.

suecsi

South west trains now say small folding bikes without clarifying. That Yeah bike would be fine. No one is out with a tape measure. Your real problem will be not being able to board - at least that's what happens at Richmond. But that's also happened to me without a bike. I'm not sure what surbiton is like in this respect. I've certainly never seen a guard or station staff take the remotest interest in any folding bike. And fellow passengers are pretty forgiving if you are open and helpful - ie when the train gets more crowded, I point out to people that my bike is there, make sure they watch their ankles, fold in the pedals etc. I don't think this makes any practical difference, but people respond to the I'm aware of them and the inconvenience. And when it's so crowded that people can't reach the handrail and have to lean on another passenger if the train brakes, that's important.

Take the Yeah on a test drive. If you enjoy riding it and will have room for it in your luggage, I'd buy it. Remember finding a suitcase that will take the squarish shape of a folding bike can prove expensive, and may break size limits. If you are shipping a crate, then that's probably not an issue.

Oh, and I've done (as I keep saying) 2000 miles on a 16" bike this year. They're ok

Thanks jefmcg, thats handy to know. Though as you say, just getting on at Richmond as a person during the rush hour is ..... interesting. I get on at Feltham, which is pretty much the last place you are guaranteed a seat, unless they do something stupid like put 4 carriages on the 08:35. I cover the Brompton with the black cover that stows in the saddle bag, and usually sit right at the back of the train, with the Brompton tucked beside me in the aisle, with the cover on it looks pretty much like luggage. Given I get on at the station for Heathrow Airport, thats not that uncommon a sight anyway! And quite a few Bromptons and riders get on at Twickenham as well.

I moved to Surbiton a few months back to do some flat sitting, although my bike commuting has reduced being so far out.

The fastest route would be New Malden - Raynes Park - Wimbledon - then either Earlsfield or up CS7 would be the fastest way.
A nicer way is to Kingston gate of Richmond park then to Roehampton gate, down Priory lane and along Upper Richmond road through Putney. You can then join CS8 at Wandsworth if you want.

On taking the bike on the train , try the Hampton Court service (towards London at 02 and 32 past the hour) as Surbiton is the third stop and most people go for the fast trains. There is much more space and although it takes 10 mins longer to get to Waterloo it probably is worth it (the non-stop trains are standinding room only).

Mozgie

Hi

Anyone still cycling from Surbiton to London?

I want to start in next week- two so looking for some tips.
thank you

vickster

Legendary Member
Routes above will still stand (except Richmond park unless NHS worker). Expect the roads and CS to be quite busy with cyclists, so allow plenty of time and have your wits about you. Make sure you have good locks if leaving the bike on the street

Top Bottom